• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 955 C2 Overclocking

Permabanned
Heya guys I'm looking to upgrade from a 6950 to a 7950 so I've been advised to overclock my 955 CPU to elimnate bottlenecking.

Can anyone take me step by step on how to overclock this CPU maybe 3.6Ghz Something like that? :D

Permabanned
OP
It is very simple, assuming you have adequate cooling, decent heatsink. The 955 has an unlocked multiplier so you can just go into the bios and change the CPU multiplier from stock 16x (3.2GHz) to 18x to provide 3.6GHz. Save the bios settings before exiting and reboot, this will not affect any other clock like memory, PCIe etc.

Check your CPU temps using HWmonitor and running prime95 simultaneously. Stay below 60C under load.

I would not expect a single 7950 to be significantly bottlenecked by a 3.2Ghz quad but you can check framerates in your games to find out at stock and overclocked.

Good luck, andy

Literally Just did what you said, Upped the Multiplier to 18x 3.6GHZ ran PRIME95 had HwMontior up and it crashed within 5 seconds - I obviously need some more volts? :D

Back
Top Bottom