• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Associate
I don't think AMD allowed live streaming at their horizon events before so thats interesting and it could mean we are in for some juicy 7nm info :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Even more interesting and not at all related to EPYC is the newly announced Intel Cascade Lake 48 core CPU, sans SMT of course. It's a multi die configuration like EPYC since they are stuck on 14nm+++++++++ and should be out in 2019, probably about 300w TDP at 1.8GHz.

Associate
Even more interesting and not at all related to EPYC is the newly announced Intel Cascade Lake 48 core CPU, sans SMT of course. It's a multi die configuration like EPYC since they are stuck on 14nm+++++++++ and should be out in 2019, probably about 300w TDP at 1.8GHz.
But the official specs will say 95w :D:D:D

Soldato
Tomorrow will be...

"EPYC Rome sampling has gone very well and will be shipping Q1 next year.
Vega 20 sampling has gone very well and will ship as Vega Instinct compute Q1 next year.
Ryzen 3000 series is sampling right now and is on track to ship Q2/Q3 next year.
We can confirm 7nm gaming cards will first appear as Navi; GPU roadmap is unchanged."

So basically everything we already know, just officially confirmed. If there's anything more than that I'll be surprised. And I doubt there will be any mention of the RX 590/Polaris 30 cards.

Soldato
Tomorrow will be...

"EPYC Rome sampling has gone very well and will be shipping Q1 next year.
Vega 20 sampling has gone very well and will ship as Vega Instinct compute Q1 next year.
Ryzen 3000 series is sampling right now and is on track to ship Q2/Q3 next year.
We can confirm 7nm gaming cards will first appear as Navi; GPU roadmap is unchanged."

So basically everything we already know, just officially confirmed. If there's anything more than that I'll be surprised. And I doubt there will be any mention of the RX 590/Polaris 30 cards.

<Darth Vader voice>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
</Darth Vader voice>

Soldato
I'd love to hear something about Navi. I presume that's a complete no-hoper for Horizon, though?

I can't see why Navi would be so hush hush, especially as Horizon would only be 8 months away from when Navi is supposedly hitting the market and the RTX series is now a thing. Given how well 7nm is going, as is evident by Vega 20 and EPYC Rome actually coming earlier than planned, AMD can be confident in how Navi is progressing and when it will launch. As a result, I don't see any reason why they couldn't/wouldn't confirm that Navi is on track or even a bit early.

Nobody is under any illusions that Navi is a GTX 1080 performance card. What little AMD have come out with say Navi is a mid-tier product. Unless there's some crazy awesome development that even AMD didn't account for with Navi that bumps its performance higher than expected (akin to Ryzen far surpassing its original IPC target), AMD aren't going to be talking much about Navi specifics.

Soldato
Nobody is under any illusions that Navi is a GTX 1080 performance card. What little AMD have come out with say Navi is a mid-tier product. Unless there's some crazy awesome development that even AMD didn't account for with Navi that bumps its performance higher than expected (akin to Ryzen far surpassing its original IPC target), AMD aren't going to be talking much about Navi specifics.

*Sigh* I first heard of Navi during the excitement about Polaris and HBM and how this could be a radical shift in AMD's graphics technology. At the time Polaris was exciting and Navi a wonder of speculation. Now it's sounding like a point refresh of what we have. What happened to the revolution? :(

Soldato
The revolution comes in 2020 with Arcturus as it's a brand new architecture from AMD. Navi is the last version of the GCN architecture but will still be interesting because of being on 7nm and the suggestion that GCN's fabled 4096 shader limit was broken with Vega 20.

Remember the state AMD have come from, it's going to take a while to get back on track.

Soldato
I heard a rumor that Navi was supposdely GTX 1080 performance with a targetted price of around $250 and decent TDP... then again you hear many rumors on the internet... I have a 1080FE currently and it drives what i play perfectly, id happily swap it out for an AMD version of the same card if only to get Freesync back as i really notice it when playing Grim Dawn, i get so much tearing i re-enabled V-Sync but that has its own issues.

Soldato
I don't know about the price point, but Navi 10 matching the GTX 1080 is the suspected performance target. The thing is, there was talk from one of the AMD tech bods (forgot his name) saying that they weren't 100% set on HBM and would consider a GDDR6 controller too. If that's the case then we could see the gaming Navi utilise GDDR6 which will help bring the price down, but there's no way I can see an HBM-equipped Navi 10 hitting $250.

Soldato
I don't know about the price point, but Navi 10 matching the GTX 1080 is the suspected performance target. The thing is, there was talk from one of the AMD tech bods (forgot his name) saying that they weren't 100% set on HBM and would consider a GDDR6 controller too. If that's the case then we could see the gaming Navi utilise GDDR6 which will help bring the price down, but there's no way I can see an HBM-equipped Navi 10 hitting $250.

I'm not convinced by HBM, I think GDDR would be a better option all round on desktop AMD GPUs

Associate

But today 1080 is kinda mid-tier now :) We have 2070, 1080ti, 2080 and 2080ti cards above its performance. Give it another year once Navi hits the streets and RTX card prices normalise or drop and 1080 is gonna be true mid range performance card :)

Soldato
I heard a rumor that Navi was supposdely GTX 1080 performance with a targetted price of around $250 and decent TDP... then again you hear many rumors on the internet... I have a 1080FE currently and it drives what i play perfectly, id happily swap it out for an AMD version of the same card if only to get Freesync back as i really notice it when playing Grim Dawn, i get so much tearing i re-enabled V-Sync but that has its own issues.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...to-be-competitive-again-in-high-end-gpus.html

Soldato
But today 1080 is kinda mid-tier now :) We have 2070, 1080ti, 2080 and 2080ti cards above its performance. Give it another year once Navi hits the streets and RTX card prices normalise or drop and 1080 is gonna be true mid range performance card :)

Depends on how you count it, pricing wise it's still a high-end card, it's just that the ultra-enthusiast price bracket card (old Titans) don't come anymore with a cheaper near-identical version later (xx80ti), and seeing as the Titan V has almost entirely moved up as a non-gaming card it's debatable if you should count it or not.

Soldato
I'm not convinced by HBM, I think GDDR would be a better option all round on desktop AMD GPUs

Tell that to AMD, they went all-in on HBM and still aren't exactly swimming in R&D cash. I'd like to think Navi on the desktop will have a GDDR6 controller, but in all honesty I think that's going to come with Arcturus as it's a whole new arch: GDDR6 for gaming cards, HBM for workstation.compute cards.

Soldato

lolwhut? That's exactly what I said. Navi gaming cards are pitched at the mid-tier, and are suggested to have GTX 1080 performance. Nobody ever said Navi was a high-end card.

Man of Honour

You can't argue that seeing what they produce with their backs against the wall will be really interesting. At first they were all like "They are just gluing cores together, dont accept that", now a year down the line it's like "Oh **** we better learn the recipe for that magical IF glue".

The most interesting bit for me will be memory config and how their solution scales, anything less than near perfect ryzen like scaling and performance will be seen as missing the mark. The benchmark for an mcm x86 design has been set and now it's Intel's turn to show some engineering prowess. It is time for the big boys to lay it on the table and in my opinion all we need to know is how short they fall. Sadly I just don't think their first iteration will fall in the same ballpark for all metrics but being Intel you really would be a fool to completely write them off.

Caporegime
GTX 1080 (non-Ti) can't be "high end" forever.

By the time Navi luanches in Q4 2019, 1080 perf is where the mid-range from both parties should be.

It's going to need to be around that ballpark btw, to make the next gen of consoles worth upgrading to. Otherwise how will they achieve 4k/60 as promised?

If you expect Navi to be sub 1080 perf you're going to have to explain how that makes sense in both the console and PC markets.

e: the X1X is already around 1070 perf btw, according to developers.

Back
Top Bottom