• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE

Associate
A new AMD Catalyst 11.10 Preview Driver Version 2 is now available, offering owners of AMD/ATI GPU-based graphics cards improvements and fixes for DICE's Battlefield 3 open beta and id Software's just-released RAGE (thanks LittleMe). They offer downloads for Windows Vista and Windows XP, and the following list of fixes:

Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on AMD CrossFire™ configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
Improves performance in Rage on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series and AMD Radeon HD 4000 series of products.
Reduces intermittent crashing seen loading levels in Rage
Resolves flickering of NPCs in Rage
Enables automatic Vsync for Rage
Enables support for AMD Eyefinity 5x1 display (portrait and landscape) configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
AMD Vision Engine Control Center: User Interface enhancements have been implemented for the AMD CrossfireX™, GPU AMD Overdrive™ and Information Center pages.

Not tried them myself, Hammer.

pre

pre

Associate
This actually causes 5s pauses for me every 5s compared the Rage driver (4870x2). Doesn't happen in the menus so v0v.

EDIT: Did full uninstall and reinstall and seems to be better.

Last edited:
Associate
This definitely feels more stable than previous drivers. But after a few games sometimes I get this odd flicking either in blue, green or orange depending on the field indicators at the time. It doesn't hang around for as long as the old driver set or happen as often, but still annoying ! Other than that the game does feel a lot more stable, but still I think a lot of bugs graphically are on BF3 end, not ATI drivers.

Associate
These drivers, plus the patch for the game, have fixed all my performance issues. Currently I'm running 8xAA and maxed out settings at 60fps. And in less than a week they'll be releasing drivers that support Crossfire for RAGE. However, without the release of a high resolution texture pack there's nothing that can be done for the incredibly low resolution textures all over the game world. Apparently the full textures are 150GB in size, though I'd happily download that much to see the game as it is supposed to be played.

Soldato
The drivers might fix bf3 and rage but they broke my paint shop pro 9 everytime i tryed to load psp my whole system locked up :( so reverted back to 11.9 and voila psp works again how bizarre .... guess i`ll wait for the non betas

Soldato
Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on AMD CrossFire™ configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.

Bit bloody late for that isn't it? :p

Soldato
The CCC in this release has a new interface - it loads MUCH faster and looks nicer to boot! Here's a snap of mine:

WNULr.png

So yeah, it's worth giving these a try as AMD seems to be making changes with this release.

Soldato
Took the Preview 3 drivers for a spin.

Cant say performance is any better becuase it was good before, but now in the dead city (Rage), im getting what I can only describe as light source flickering.

Back
Top Bottom