• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD choice

Associate
Intend this time (first time) to move off Intel to AMD
Use is for video editing / rendering inc 4k at 100fps on Davinci.

Unsure whether to go for AMD 9900X or 7900X
Performance seems very similar with 9900 only 6% better
The 9900X being Zen 5 Granite Ridge is newer technology and does have 50W lower TDP

Same cache, cores, threads etc.

The 9900X costs about 30% more, what is the view - jump in and get 9900X as power saving will pay for the extra cost in 2-3yrs, and getting later technology chip

Very hard to give advice on these CPUs at the moment, because their performance is not settled. It does well in some tasks, e.g. V-Ray, but in some apps there's next to nothing. You'd also see decent gains in anything that uses AVX-512, like AV1 encoding.

If time is money (it often is for video editors/artists) then I'd get it anyway and hope for future gains, though it does depend if there's somewhere better you can invest that money in your build for more performance, like RAM or graphics.

I'm currently facing a similar difficult choice, although for me the 7900x is not a consideration.

I'm on AM4 already, which makes the choice even more difficult. The three under the microscope are:

105w 5950x
65w 7900
120w 9900x

Intend this time (first time) to move off Intel to AMD
Use is for video editing / rendering inc 4k at 100fps on Davinci.

Unsure whether to go for AMD 9900X or 7900X
Performance seems very similar with 9900 only 6% better
The 9900X being Zen 5 Granite Ridge is newer technology and does have 50W lower TDP

Same cache, cores, threads etc.

The 9900X costs about 30% more, what is the view - jump in and get 9900X as power saving will pay for the extra cost in 2-3yrs, and getting later technology chip
Get a 7950X and sell the game codes so its around the same price as a 9900X but has 4 extra cores. Run it at ECO 105W and it would probably use less power than the 9900X too.

Get a 7950X and sell the game codes so its around the same price as a 9900X but has 4 extra cores. Run it at ECO 105W and it would probably use less power than the 9900X too.
Even though 7950 is about £50 more you think it a better value for money CPU ?

I think once the next windows 11 release drops, and the likes, there'll be a bit more of an improvement as well to ryzen 9000 chips. As @Tetras says, there'll most likely be future gains.

The other option is to wait for the new intel CPU's in mid October. Zen 5 is also likely to be discounted a fair bit by that point.

Back
Top Bottom