• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD crashes in latest Steam survey

Permabanned
Maybe it's because of the GPU division. AMD loses market share because of the insane pricing and lack of supply.
The users have no GPUs to buy, so no new PCs either.

You can't buy the console, too.

Soldato
China is your answer. If the author of that article had bothered to scroll down the page a bit, they'd have also noticed that there was a huge increase in Windows 7 users and Simplified Chinese users this month. Clearly Valve are now counting a lot more Chinese machines again. This was also the case last time there was suddenly a big shift in the survey's numbers some time ago, which they ended up "correcting" later.

2021-09-0321.08.01sto9wjve.png

2rpjnf.png

Soldato
China is your answer. If the author of that article had bothered to scroll down the page a bit, they'd have also noticed that there was a huge increase in Windows 7 users and Simplified Chinese users this month. Clearly Valve are now counting a lot more Chinese machines again. This was also the case last time there was suddenly a big shift in the survey's numbers some time ago, which they ended up "correcting" later.

2021-09-0321.08.01sto9wjve.png

2rpjnf.png

I've requested it before and I know valve are far too lazy to make changes they've already said they won't but I'd love to be able to remove China from the data - comon Valve just give us some damn filters so I can remove China and can remove people with 1080p screens

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

That is interesting I never knew that!

Soldato
I've requested it before and I know valve are far too lazy to make changes they've already said they won't but I'd love to be able to remove China from the data - comon Valve just give us some damn filters so I can remove China and can remove people with 1080p screens

I can understand wanting to remove China from the data bit why 1080p screens? Feels like a huge amount use them even with top hardware so they can play competitively with huge FPS

Soldato
I can understand wanting to remove China from the data bit why 1080p screens? Feels like a huge amount use them even with top hardware so they can play competitively with huge FPS

removing 1080p screens removes a lot of systems that are 5+ years old. I want to remove old systems. "Competitive gamers" is a niche in a niche though, small market

Soldato
Monitors are usually the least upgraded part of a PC. 1920x1080 is probably still the most common resolution screen sold today. It’s probably worth noting that the Steam survey is steams marketing tool, used to understand its customer base. If the base majority is quad core Intel i7’s running Windows 7 with 1920x1080 screens then they will want that reflected in the stats.

You can still buy new soc 115* chips and the Chinese motherboard market offers a healthy array of motherboards.

Soldato
removing 1080p screens removes a lot of systems that are 5+ years old. I want to remove old systems. "Competitive gamers" is a niche in a niche though, small market
What about all those 6600XT buyers, I mean it's 400+ quid to game at 1080P these days.

Permabanned
1080p is a low-end resolution today. If the Steam survey shows that 60%+ of the systems' primary resolution is this, it just means that most of the systems are low-end.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I thought the human eye was generally thought to be between the 30-60 fps range, so if your GPU could handle 1440p or even 4k the best option is to get a display that can output that?

I know lots of folk play fast fps games but surely there are more people that dont need that high? Would be good to toggle the survey to weed out some of these outliers.

Associate
Are you really surprised?
No GPUs means that people buys a laptop or an APU instead, for which 720p is where performance is acceptable.

The mass market is all about $500 laptops, not HEDT.

Associate
I thought the human eye was generally thought to be between the 30-60 fps range
This is not true
24fps was found as the LOWEST fps human eye could still perceive as somewhat smooth, chosen for motion pictures. But the higher fps goes, the nicer it looks (and feels, for interaction).
Upper bound (as in, you could still feel a difference) would be somewhere beyond 1000fps.

I would always prefer going from 60 to 120 fps to going from 1080p to 1440p, even for desktop work.

As for steam survey, it is now infamous for huge swings between consecutive releases, not related to actual market changes. Caused mostly by different sample of systems being surveyed, this time apparently dominated by 5 year old chinese machines.

Back
Top Bottom