• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Soldato
AMD showed off a 5900X with Vcache in the reveal then 7 months later they only decide to release a 5800X with Vcache so clearly there has been some issues whether it be the costs or the differculty to implement.

Associate
AMD showed off a 5900X with Vcache in the reveal then 7 months later they only decide to release a 5800X with Vcache so clearly there has been some issues whether it be the costs or the differculty to implement.
What difficulty? Milan-x is selling very well, implementetation alone isn't problem, only cost because it is mainstream product unlike milan-x.

Soldato
What difficulty? Milan-x is selling very well, implementetation alone isn't problem, only cost because it is mainstream product unlike milan-x.
By differculty I mean either the production costs were to high for a 2CCX desktop part or that the TDP limits would mean that any chip over 8 cores would see an even larger clock regression which would nullify the gains.

Soldato
At CES they literally had a giant slide staying Spring '22. When or where are you remembering your other official announcement of the 5800X3D from?

When she held up the 5900X with vcache on one of the CCD'S. (Not the 5800x...the moded 5900x demo) whatever announcement that was. They talked about production starting at the end of the year. (2021)

I didn't see any mention of spring 2022 until this year.

Associate
Zen3 chiplets with 3D cache did start then, for EPYC Milan-X
The demo was gaming focused, benchmarking
a 5900X3D against a regular 5900X. Lisa Su didn't say "server products will be available in late 2021, consumer desktop products in Spring 2022".

With the new Spring date it's possible that the 5800X3D could be released over one year after the initial announcement and gives credence to the rumours of issues and delays during development.

Associate
No, she said 3D chiplet production starts end of 2021. Nothing more, nothing less. And it did.

There were no products that utilise 3D chiplets announced, there were no promises, no timescales.
Disagree with you. That's not the impression given. If it was server focussed demo, yes. The server version must have been close to finished so why choose the consumer gaming focused product?

The forums and tech sites went with what was said. AMD could have clarified earlier than January 2022 and they chose not to.

As I've said with the timescales now, it could be over a year from announcement to arrival which to be honest is odd. The thinking at the time was it would around the AL release which does make sense as a spoiler tactic.

Soldato
But the thing about it being difficult etc makes zero sense because they have been releasing products with it. They just were not desktop products because honeslty it comes down to economic side and so they can certainly make the profit of the server stuff with it rather than the desktop stuff.

Associate

Nah.

Purely binning and product optimisation IMO.

a 5900X3D or 5950X3D will need at least one low leakage CCD to hit the power/clock targets required for that SKU. I would imagine there is a lot of overlap between such a low leakage CCD and what they throw into Milan-X. OTOH the 5800X3D can use a higher leakage CCD that is unlikely to hit a Milan-X bin and it means AMD are not sacrificing Milan-X supply to provide something to the consumer market.

Soldato
Nah.

Purely binning and product optimisation IMO.

a 5900X3D or 5950X3D will need at least one low leakage CCD to hit the power/clock targets required for that SKU. I would imagine there is a lot of overlap between such a low leakage CCD and what they throw into Milan-X. OTOH the 5800X3D can use a higher leakage CCD that is unlikely to hit a Milan-X bin and it means AMD are not sacrificing Milan-X supply to provide something to the consumer market.
With the B2 stepping I'd expect most of these dies will be low leakage now.

Associate
Intel still dind't replicate Zen 3 success, even with lower launch MSRP, Zen 3 still dominates in sales from what i see in every major IT retailer. And just when Intel got leading performance (but no sales), Zen 4 will come, and then AMD will have again leading performance beside good sales.

Associate
Intel still dind't replicate Zen 3 success, even with lower launch MSRP, Zen 3 still dominates in sales from what i see in every major IT retailer. And just when Intel got leading performance (but no sales), Zen 4 will come, and then AMD will have again leading performance beside good sales.

Currently Inel lead in price and performance, AMD lead in efficiency. When AMD did lead for a short period they attempted to push prices up.. can you guess what's coming if Zen4 is superior ?

Back
Top Bottom