• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***AMD Freesync owners thread***

Soldato
Link?

Also, I suggest you trust surveyor who posted the link directing everyone back to here.;
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18662106
The thing is...there a huge difference between
a) people who genuinely wish to discuss about Freesync
and
b) people jumping to conclusion and making absolute statement along the line "Freesync sucks, Gsync rules". People who generally post things in that kind of manner simply has zero interest in engaging in meaning discussion or contributing to the thread...which I believe is consider as "trolling" if I'm not mistaken.

Caporegime
No harm in discussing reviews in here i guess as that's where we've been posting them however, perhaps we should have a FreeSync review thread, might be better for everyone to debate non owner things in there.

Orangey, over to you. :)

Caporegime
The thing is...there a huge difference between
a) people who genuinely wish to discuss about Freesync
and
b) people jumping to conclusion and making absolute statement along the line "Freesync sucks, Gsync rules". People who generally post things in that kind of manner simply has zero interest in engaging in meaning discussion or contributing to the thread...which I believe is consider as "trolling" if I'm not mistaken.

Have you got a freesync monitor?

Also, I like an owners thread to be for the owners. Tommy should really have a roll of honour on the first page.

Soldato
Caporegime
A can of worms if they are indeed the same panel but ghosting on the BenQ and not on the Swift :eek:

Edit:

Just seen that above thanks Ayahuasca. So just a cheaper panel then hopefully and not a freesync issue.

Soldato
Have you got a freesync monitor?

Also, I like an owners thread to be for the owners. Tommy should really have a roll of honour on the first page.
Had my money ready for the LG 29UM67 29" FREESYNC monitor and waited for it for a long time, but the news of LG's shooting themself in the foot with narrow Freesync dynamic range of 48-75Hz made me change my mind, so now I will probably wait for may be a Sammy 4K, or a 2560 res IPS with Freesync.

I would like to hear the experience and opinions from people that actually own and used Freesync, both the good and bad, any problems and issues and any solution. People who have not used Freesync and are only looking for the opportunities to smear at Freesync in this "owner thread" are all trolls as far as I'm concerned, in particular those those whose minds already made up that "any issues with these monitors must be caused by Freesync".

If there's concrete evidence that there are indeed flaw in the Freesync, I would certainly be interested to know, as it is my money we are talking about here.

Last edited:
Associate
Even if freesync isn't at fault, which it probably isn't. Why is the tech been introduced into panels that will cause ghosting issues. Makes zero sense and puts a bad taste in my mouth especially owning this monitor

Caporegime
The 48-75hz range on that LG is quite frankly a joke, that's a 27 fps window you have to keep your framerate between.

I think all of us just want freesync to work as well as gsync but I'm starting to have my doubts, quotes like this don't give me much hope.

Further, that FPS range claim is irrelevant and a bit misleading. All G-Sync panels can actually stay in VRR mode all the way down to 1 FPS, while FreeSync panels drop out of VRR once they hit the minimum allowable (hardware) panel refresh rate.

It seems the actual gsync device is needed to offer things like the above, and isn't just some $100 added gimmick that does nothing.

Caporegime
Even if freesync isn't at fault, which it probably isn't. Why is the tech been introduced into panels that will cause ghosting issues. Makes zero sense and puts a bad taste in my mouth especially owning this monitor

Agreed, and whilst I know some of you can't see the ghosting I've made my experience very clear. I don't want to lie to myself and others about a £500 screen.

Things like this should be found in testing, either I and pcper have a faulty monitor or BenQ have overlooked this. Both of us doing tests with AMA at the default setting of high which is the best setting for combating ghosting and it's still there. In fact I can still see it with blur reduction enabled.

Soldato
Caporegime
Nobody knows if the panel is actually cheaper to manufacturer, it's just a different version number. The main reason the monitor itself is cheaper is because it doesn't have a module like GSYNC which costs money and doesn't have ASUS ROG tax. The thing is if it can't offer the same experience I'd rather pay the extra £100 for the Swift...

What ***** me off is being locked into either because of nVidia :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
Nobody knows if the panel is actually cheaper to manufacturer, it's just a different version number. The main reason the monitor itself is cheaper is because it doesn't have a module like GSYNC which costs money and doesn't have ASUS ROG tax. The thing is if it can't offer the same experience I'd rather pay the extra £100 for the Swift...
I can only imagine how you feel...I guess early adapters will always risk getting sting...:(

Associate
Just curious can i return this screen under these conditions if its within two weeks please?

I'm going to give it a good hammering tonight and see if i can replicate the ghosting and use shankleys setting to hopefully eliminate it

Caporegime
I can only imagine how you feel...I guess early adapters will always risk getting sting...:(

The cost honestly doesn't bother me, I just wish the launch of freesync itself had been better and it could live up to offering the same experience as gsync. I hope I'm wrong about it all and it can be fixed through firmware or drivers but I think that's just clutching at straws.

Am loving the BenQ no ghosting here after dialing in my settings..

I've used the exact same settings as you and it's still there for me, I must just be more sensitive to it.

Just curious can i return this screen under these conditions if its within two weeks please?

I'm going to give it a good hammering tonight and see if i can replicate the ghosting and use shankleys setting to hopefully eliminate it

Yes, I'm not sure if OCUK can deduct an amount as it's been used though. Best off asking someone else about that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had terrible ghosting on my monitor (not Freesync) when the response setting in the OSD was set to 'High'. It completely disappeared when I set it to 'Medium', which I found quite odd.

Caporegime
I had terrible ghosting on my monitor (not Freesync) when the response setting in the OSD was set to 'High'. It completely disappeared when I set it to 'Medium', which I found quite odd.

Which brand was that though?

High on your brand was probably the equivalent to premium on the BenQ.

For the BenQ screens I've always seen high recommended as the best setting.

Back
Top Bottom