• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Soldato
Something which is annoying on the Ryzen Z1 Extreme - the CPU will sit there at idle barely using any power, the GPU part of the SoC is still guzzling down 4-5 watt despite hardly doing anything.
It's super complex, everything can have an effect power efficiency from the obvious like the size and design of the transistors themselves to the architecture all the way through to the software stack (firmware/drivers).

WikiChip Fuse did an article on the first RDNA (RX 5700) a few year back that may give you a better idea of the sorts of architectural design choices AMD made and how everything from what type of signalling is used on the memory to the width of internal buses can effect power efficiency.

Caporegime
They are making one for laptops with a 40CU IGP called Strix Halo:

Strix Halo LP, that's going to be for the next generation handhelds.

Associate
Isn't the whole consumer market for basically everything tanking? Aside from business to business, stuff made for your average Joe is in the down, likely back to precovid levels it seems.

With gpus still at a high price, it's going back to obscurity unless the mid range is back to decent pricing.

Associate
New cards are around the corner, so it's expected. In better times when things were in black and white now might be the time there would be deep discounts on current stock, the trouble is even cards AMD have discounted hardly seem like good deals.

Caporegime
New cards are around the corner, so it's expected. In better times when things were in black and white now might be the time there would be deep discounts on current stock, the trouble is even cards AMD have discounted hardly seem like good deals.

Discounted prices are pretty much the prices they should have been at launch.

Soldato
Oh yeah I totally forgot about that. So is DDR 5 enough for a 40cu Apu?
No, like Hook said it's a bandwidth thing, DDR uses a 64bit bus GDDR uses a 256/512 bit bus.

Theoretically you can increase the size of the bus used on DDR but then you'd need more pins/connections. Currently a 64 bit DDR bus needs 288 pins so if you wanted to use a 256 bit bus you'd need RAM modules with something like +1k pins, that many pins on something like a stick of RAM would come with obvious drawbacks.

Associate
Strix Halo apparently uses 256 bit LPDDR5X-8533 with a bandwidth of up 500GB/s and also has a 32MB L4 cache too.
Yeah so is that embedded memory? Lp usually associates with laptops doesn't it? Regardless, that sounds really impressive to me. If it comes to fruition I'd imagine it will sell like hotcakes and kill the low end GPU market. I know I'd buy one.

Man of Honour
Great username btw :p

*Off topic....... Is anyone suffering with really bad hay fever? I'm dying right now. Alexa says raw weed or something is in the air along with high pollen counts.

Not bad hay fever but I've got the slightly choked up feeling today I get when nettle pollen is bad, but I can't see any kind of significant nettle growth - usually I only get it when the verges, etc. are thick with nettles.

Last edited:
Associate
I get hay fever every year,but the last week has been brutal. Stinging itchy eyes,and constant nausea. It's making me depressed tbh. Doesn't help that I have a cat which sheds at a rate I've never seen in any animal in my life. Even the slightest pet results in hairs flying everywhere. Sorry for off topic.

Caporegime
40 RDNA 3.5 CU's, 500 GB/s memory bandwidth.

By comparison:

RX 7600. 32 RDNA 3 CU's, 288 GB/s memory bandwidth.

It should blow that ^^^^ out of the water...

RX 7700 XT, 54 RDNA 3 CU's, 432 GB/s memory bandwidth.

Probably closer to that ^^^ than the RX 7600, equivalent to an RTX 4060 ti. which i believe in a laptop is an RTX 4070.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Frankly i can't believe how long its taken AMD to get to this point, they could have done this years ago.

When talking about OEM's no one wants AMD's add-in GPU's, but they do want AMD's APU's, they like those, so make them an APU so powerful it doesn't need an add-in GPU even if you're talking about a gaming laptop.

"Yes please, i'll have a few million of them..."

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
When talking about OEM's no one wants AMD's add-in GPU's, but they do want AMD's APU's, they like those, so make them an APU so powerful it doesn't need an add-in GPU even if you're talking about a gaming laptop.
i'd take this in a heartbeat for my laptop

Back
Top Bottom