• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD iGPU Info

Associate
So I have a htpc type setup running on an old A8 6500t that I'm looking to upgrade due to wanting h.265 playback without having to install a dedicated GPU.

The intel site is pretty clear with what igpu's can do that but I can't find anything equivalent for the AMD side of things. Essentially, I'm just looking for the cheapest/lowest power chip that will achieve the goal, which means 7th gen intel and the associated upgrade to ddr4 which isn't a particularly cheap looking option.

Is there an AMD alternative?

Associate
You could go for a 2200g,2400g or 3400g with a low priced am4 motherboard. It will just depend on your budget.

Man of Honour
From what I can gather you need at least UVD 6, which is present in Carrizo (FM2+) and Bristol Bridge APUs (AM4).

Man of Honour
Well, I'm disappointed at how ludicrously complex the AMD range is... but it's all a bit meaningless when literally nothing is available anywhere!
Bristol Ridge CPUs were widely available once, but supply seems to have dried up. Ryzen-based AM4 APUs have had poor availability for awhile. Cheapest low-power option is probably a 6th or 7th gen bundle, like you were already looking at.

Associate
OP
Bristol Ridge CPUs were widely available once, but supply seems to have dried up. Ryzen-based AM4 APUs have had poor availability for awhile. Cheapest low-power option is probably a 6th or 7th gen bundle, like you were already looking at.
7th gen is what I need on the intel side but I saw a cpu/mobo bundle go on the bay for over £150 at the weekend. Keeping an eye on the current options but it's not looking like I can get something for much less than £200 currently as DDR4 is looking rather compulsory.

Man of Honour
What were you looking at? The H110 boards go pretty cheap, though some will need a BIOS update for Kaby Lake. Plenty of old Pentiums (G4520, G4560) if UHD 610 is sufficient. What's wrong with HD 510/530 in Skylake out of interest, I thought it supported H.265?

Associate
OP
What were you looking at? The H110 boards go pretty cheap, though some will need a BIOS update for Kaby Lake. Plenty of old Pentiums (G4520, G4560) if UHD 610 is sufficient. What's wrong with HD 510/530 in Skylake out of interest, I thought it supported H.265?

Can't remember the board but it was a 7400 and didn't have any memory with it. I was basing my requirements on the intel side of things off this page which didn't have UHD610 listed. Having done a bit more research it appears from this page that anything 6th gen on should do the job too.

Back
Top Bottom