• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX 3000 series

Caporegime
AMD Navi release timeframe leaked, power consumption set to be "surprising"

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...aked_power_consumption_set_to_be_surprising/1

Targetting the 2080/1080Ti now, unless its a typo :p
Has to be a typo.

I would suspect there is practically no chance of AMD being able to target 1080Ti/2080 perf at the same time as lowering power consumption by any meaningful amount.

1080 perf is much more realistic. That's what I'm personally expecting, and a level of perf which would be acceptable in next-gen consoles.

Navi, unlike Vega, is all about PS5. Designed completely for gaming not HPC. People making predictions based around the profitability of Vega chips are missing the point. Navi has to go into PS5 without shooting PS5 cost through the moon.

Soldato
Has to be a typo.

I would suspect there is practically no chance of AMD being able to target 1080Ti/2080 perf at the same time as lowering power consumption by any meaningful amount.

1080 perf is much more realistic. That's what I'm personally expecting, and a level of perf which would be acceptable in next-gen consoles.

Navi, unlike Vega, is all about PS5. Designed completely for gaming not HPC. People making predictions based around the profitability of Vega chips are missing the point. Navi has to go into PS5 without shooting PS5 cost through the moon.

Agreed that would be next to impossible.

I’d suspect it’s likely a typo and they probably mean 1080 which sounds much more likely.

Soldato

Navi may have been designed with the PS5 in mind but it's still likely to be designed around GCN with all its limitations that comes with it (fixed function hardware for one) so I'm wouldn't get to excited. It's probably going to bring improvements along the lines of Polaris brought back in 2016.

Caporegime
Navi may have been designed with the PS5 in mind but it's still likely to be designed around GCN with all its limitations that comes with it (fixed function hardware for one) so I'm wouldn't get to excited. It's probably going to bring improvements along the lines of Polaris brought back in 2016.
Yes when talking performance I already said I don't expect it to be >1080 non-Ti perf. But I also don't expect it to have Vega's manufacturing costs (thanks, HBM :p)

Soldato
Lovely for sure not, it is called plagiarism and if intel and nvidia decide soemthing, they can meet AMD in the court for this.
But let's go back to the numbers. 3, 5, 7 etc are also used by some automotive companies for their models.

You've just nullified any "plagarism" complaint Intel could have filed :p

AMD's Ryzen 1 motherboards could have been just AM4X, meaning X170, AM4B, meaning B150, then AM4X2 meaning X270, etc...

Well yes they could have done, but why would they? Why come up with a completely ridiculous bespoke numbering scheme when you can adopt something that has been in use for well over a decade to align your product tiers with established mindshare? Now if the Navi leaks are true, the 30x0 nomenclature is arguably a bit close to Nvidia's mark, but I don't see them making a big deal out of it - any claim Nvidia could make about AMD's numbers being doo similar and therefore confusing the consumers as to which product is which would just be countered with exactly the same argument that RTX is too similar to RX.

Back
Top Bottom