• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX 3000 series

Soldato
Well what I would say then is there's little point in waiting. The mining bubble has burst for now so you can actually buy graphics cards! More importantly, if the leaked specs for Navi are true, AMD won't be pushing a graphics card much more powerful than what we have currently (which is what we kinda already new). Vega 56 is available for a very good price right now and will only be trumped by the alleged RX 3080 anyway in 9 months time.

It's also suggested that part of the reason Navi will be so cheap is that it's a skinny wee thing with none of the major compute abilities on the die, so miners wouldn't be too interested should the bubble come back.

I'd say pull the trigger on a Vega in the sales (not that they can get much cheaper).

Caporegime
Well what I would say then is there's little point in waiting. The mining bubble has burst for now so you can actually buy graphics cards! More importantly, if the leaked specs for Navi are true, AMD won't be pushing a graphics card much more powerful than what we have currently (which is what we kinda already new). Vega 56 is available for a very good price right now and will only be trumped by the alleged RX 3080 anyway in 9 months time.

It's also suggested that part of the reason Navi will be so cheap is that it's a skinny wee thing with none of the major compute abilities on the die, so miners wouldn't be too interested should the bubble come back.

I'd say pull the trigger on a Vega in the sales (not that they can get much cheaper).

TBH I am in no rush. I have many other priorities right now instead of building a PC so I am totally happy to wait. I haven't bought any components. I was just daydreaming about whether or not I should put some spare cash to use sooner or later :)

What will likely happen is I'll get a case ordered in Jan, then let CES with its announcments from everyone happen and wait a couple of months for new products to hit the shelves and start buying parts then :)

I'd hate to for example, pick something like a stick of RAM for it to imminently be replaced for something better and cheaper :p (RAM might not be the best example, but you get the point :) )

Soldato
I know what you mean.

I've shelved a mod project that was originally based on a Ryzen 2600 and GTX 1070. Now granted it was mostly for financial reasons, but I don't want to buy this close to something new which carries the potential of being a good chunk better. OK, Navi isn't until September, but Ryzen 3000 is probably April, and that should give me time to save up before starting the project again.

This could also explain why there's zero interest in my for sale thread trying to move my 1070s on :p

Caporegime
Plus at this time of year, everyone is buying gifts for families and not themselves :p

I might buy everything in April along with the Ryzen 3000 cpu and then wait for the RX3080 to finish it off :)

Back
Top Bottom