• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor getting a bit hot.

Soldato
It is gettinh to 90c+ playing mortal Online 2 & Pax Dei, Windows & Linux it thought getting a ID-COOLING IS-55 BLACK CPU Cooler Low Profile 57mm Height CPU Air Cooler 5 Heatpipes 120x120x15mm Slim Fan, CPU Fan for Intel LGA1700/115X/1200; AMD AM4/AM5would help, it is much better until I start playing again. I have a Sugo SG05, but just found S300 - Mini-ITX PC Gaming Case - Front I/O USB 3.0 Type - C Port - SFX Power Supply 100-130mm - Cable Management System - luminum Mini-ITX Motherboard Small Portable PC Case-Black hope it helps temp wise. A vid. says a better chip stays at 85c, but that is another etailer site with it, so can't link. Or is this worry over notting like what temps are ok for that chip? Review vid.

AMD's official stance is that anything up to 95 degrees is perfectly fine and normal for that chip.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/

I wouldn't let mine run that hot, but I'm not using an ITX case/cooler either. The best thing you could do is use Curve Optimizer. You should be able to lower the heat output quite a bit without affecting performance (or even boosting it if you're currently hitting throttle territory). You can either set it in the BIOS or using Ryzen Master, or alternatively use Ryzen Master first to find stability and then set it in the BIOS.

I am getting the Sugi SG14, it should keep it cool. The 17 looks like it is the 14 without the stripe. I have to get a SFX psu adapter though.

Last edited:
It is gettinh to 90c+ playing mortal Online 2 & Pax Dei, Windows & Linux it thought getting a ID-COOLING IS-55 BLACK CPU Cooler Low Profile 57mm Height CPU Air Cooler 5 Heatpipes 120x120x15mm Slim Fan, CPU Fan for Intel LGA1700/115X/1200; AMD AM4/AM5would help, it is much better until I start playing again. I have a Sugo SG05, but just found S300 - Mini-ITX PC Gaming Case - Front I/O USB 3.0 Type - C Port - SFX Power Supply 100-130mm - Cable Management System - luminum Mini-ITX Motherboard Small Portable PC Case-Black hope it helps temp wise. A vid. says a better chip stays at 85c, but that is another etailer site with it, so can't link. Or is this worry over notting like what temps are ok for that chip? Review vid.
I ran my 5800X with slightly reduced ppt, tdc edc. If you google that or search these forums there are some good suggestions. I've not kept my old paperwork for my old CPU/Mobo/RAM where I scribble down the settings. Performance difference was minimal but temps were maxing in the 70ºC instead. Worthwhile doing if you can.

I just got a Cooler Master NR200 SFF Small Form Factor Mini-ITX Case, Vented Panels, Triple-slot GPU, Tool-Free, 1x 120mm Fan, 1x 92mm, 360 Degree Accessibility (MCB-NR200-KNNN-S00), it is #3 on the top 10 ITX cases of 2024.

Last edited:
Go back to basics imo, so start with the main source of trouble the the cpu and heatsink. I would un do it and recheck you have not applied too much thermal paste just a small layer and not too much then double check the heatsink is installed correctly and in the right position and its making contact with the actual cpu (shine a bright led torch and check from different angles)

Try setting the heatsink fan to top speed or make sure its at 100% of even try a better cooling fan on top.

You can always try the finger approach but just be careful when touching the heatsink to see if it actually hot since you can burn your finger but doing it lightly you can tell if its hot and so contact with the cpu core will be good and working.

If it does not work start removing the side panel... re-test cpu and system temps, then if not luck remove entire case or other side panel or as much as you can and recheck temps.

Do the same for the drives, soundcards or even gpus its all about finding what exactly is causing the cpu to get that hot, so yes a needle in the haystack and a right pitta but once its up and running you will never look at it again.

I ran my 5800X with slightly reduced ppt, tdc edc. If you google that or search these forums there are some good suggestions. I've not kept my old paperwork for my old CPU/Mobo/RAM where I scribble down the settings. Performance difference was minimal but temps were maxing in the 70ºC instead. Worthwhile doing if you can.
This is the way I’d go, you can easily shave 10c off for next to no performance loss.

I think ppt125 tdc125 edc88 or something like that was what I used when running my 5800X on the wraith prism.

Try curve optimizer. Start with -10 offset for each core and then increase gradually to -30. Or depending on motherboard you have there is a 65watt mode. On my asus it’s optimised performance = disabled.

Back
Top Bottom