AMD Ryzen Equivalent?

Associate
Hi, I am long detached from building PC machines. So, I am outdated on the info. What are the latest releases of AMD and it's competitor Intel?

AMD Ryzen 3 = ?
AMD Ryzen 5 = ?
AMD Ryzen 6 = ?

Are there any other? How good is Ryzen 3?

Don
Ryzen 3 = Generally Better than i3 as Ryzen have 4 Cores
Ryzen 5 = Generally Better than i5 as Ryzen have 4 Core/8 Threads, or 6 cores/12 Threads
Ryzen 7 = Generally Better than i7 as Ryzen have 8 Cores/16 Threads

At any given price point by going AMD you will end up with more cores/threads than an equivalent price Intel chip.

On the other hand, you can argue that games don't necessarily use all the cores/threads available, in which case some of Intel's chips offer higher clock speed, and per core performance.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply fast. So, If I would have to play games on decent FPS on 24' to 27' inch screen which CPU build I should go after? My aim is cost saving.

Don
Depends entirely on budget, but the Ryzen 5 1600x is probably the sweet spot right now - high clock speed (4 Ghz) and 6 physical cores (12 threads).
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £227.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

If your budget is below that then I would look at the Ryzen 1400x, or if on a really tight budget Intel's Pentium G4560 (if you can get hold of them).

If your budget is higher then Ryzen 7 / Threadripper / Intel i7-7700k / i7-7900X are all valid options, but depends on exactly what games you play, and what else you use your PC for

Associate
Basically AMD took Intel's i[N] naming convention and replaced the i with an R. R3 is roughly equivalent to i3, R5 to i5 and so on. But, at any price point you'll get a better bang for buck with AMD.

Back
Top Bottom