• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Sempron vs Athlon XP 2400

Associate
No you haven't fallen into a time warp. :D

I have an NF7-S based system which does pretty much what I want for now but a bit more punch would nice. The software config works very nicely just now and the thought of setting it all up again depresses me enormously.

According to some online documentation the board would take an AMD Sempron CPU. Assuming I can still get one how much of an upgrade would this be, if any?

Any money spent wouldn't be wasted as I will pass the machine down to one of my children currently using a PII 300Mhz box. Poor little chap.

Soldato
sktA semprons are re-named Thouroughbred B Athlon XP with raised FSB speed to 166Mhz, thus will be slightly faster clock for clock with Athlon XP TB.

If you are running everything at stock then get the AXP 2400+, runs at 2Ghz if I remember it right. Althogh the semprons are very easily ocable to 2Ghz+, I had a sktA sempy 2400+ which I oced to 2.1Ghz from 1.67 stock.

If you already have a AXP then it's not worth the effort at all.

Associate
If your memory is DDR400, see if you can get an XP 2500 Barton core, preferably mobile version, as these can but overclocked to 3200 speed simply by upping the front side bus to 200Mhz. Get Tictacs modded bios as well if you don't have it already. D26 i think was last and whats in mine.

Back
Top Bottom