• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD X2 or Intel Core 2

Associate
Hi folks

I am planning to upgrade my current system (AMD64 3000+ gigabyte GA-K8VT800 Pro) Zalman cooler, 1gb PC3200) But I am not sure what mobo or cpu to go for with the best oc potential. Please could you advice on your systems and oc results.

Cheers all

Demonstag

Soldato
Madwelsh said:
if you enjoy mad clocking adventures, core 2 duo all the way :D

lol even if you aren't going to overclock the core2's still crush the x2's price - performance!

not even a reason to go x2 atm i'm afraid, and yes where is easyrider? seems odd for him to pass up this opportunity i hope he's ok :( ?

Associate
agreed core2duo, I wanted to believe AMD still kicks ass but I was in denial, like most in these forums I have oc'd my 6600 from 2.4 to 3.7ghz now thats standard and I believe the only thing holding me back is my mobo. And for the first time ever I actually have more cpu power than I need its crazy, and yes I am a gamer not a 'i need more speed for SUPER PI boy' lol no offence any SUPER PI's out there I am sure its great fun in all. :p

Soldato
easyrider said:
Core Duo 2 flattens AMD by not just a lttle by a lot.

If you want the fastest cpu now get conroe :D

Listen to the man. I just ordered a E6600 today myself! I was trying to wait for DX10 and Quad Core but couldn't keep it in my pants anymore.

Soldato
Core 2 Duo...

I got my 6300 running at 3.01ghz on air using a DS4 and Ninja HS, and Geil 1gb PC5400 ram.

Temps are 40-42c (idle) / 55-60c (loaded)

Associate
if the 6300 wast the price it is now an x2 would maybe stand a chance, and be worth thinking about. imo the only amd cpu's worth thinking about are there single core chips simply because of price, and they are overclocking better than ever, make for a perfect super budget system, if your not on a very tight budget then go with the 6300

Associate
we're seeing average 1.3ghz overclocks on Allendale cores and around 1ghz oc's on Conroes, the Allendales seem to have slightly more overclocking headroom.

-Allendale stock 1.86GHz to average 3.2GHz on basic air cooling
-Conroe stock 2.40GHz to average 3.4GHz on basic air cooling

so in pure overclocking terms the Allendales are better

Soldato
i'd get an AM2 X2 as when the 4x4 boards come out, just buy another and WOW :D

(with 4x4 they had 2 games of company of heros, 2 HD TV streams, and a movie being encoded)

daven

Back
Top Bottom