• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

I take it all this is for Windows 11 only, no hope for those of us on Windows 10?
no idea, but doubt will happen, when a lot more find out about this, this a win win for ms to get ppl to upgrade to win 11, then with 24h2 out around end of year (preview can get easy).
would liker to see more on 9900 9950. these could be good, compared to 1st reviews

no idea, but doubt will happen, when a lot more find out about this, this a win win for ms to get ppl to upgrade to win 11, then with 24h2 out around end of year (preview can get easy).
would liker to see more on 9900 9950. these could be good, compared to 1st reviews
I don't know, if all I wanted from my OS was better performance out of Zen 5 I'd have switched to Linux.

Question is why did we have to wait a whole generation for this update, surely they knew AM4 was missing a massive amount of performance prior to this week! With these new numbers AMD would have creamed Intel this past gen.

The prism is perfectly adequate for any 65w cpu, changing the cooler even for something like a D15 is not going to get you anymore performance on those CPUs especially in gaming and the prism is actually one of the best if not the best looking air cooler around.
It's only adequate if you're okay with the fan buzzing very loudly in the background, but if you set it at a sensible noise level then it's going to thermal throttle even with a 65w CPU. You didn't answer my question, if your CPU came with a stock cooler do you use it?

It's only adequate if you're okay with the fan buzzing very loudly in the background, but if you set it at a sensible noise level then it's going to thermal throttle even with a 65w CPU. You didn't answer my question, if your CPU came with a stock cooler do you use it?
I used the prism with the with a ryzen 5 3600 then a 5800X for about 2 years before I replaced it with the phantom spirit evo and it was fine even with the 5800X overclocked to 5ghz.

Last edited:
New tests done with Windows 11 24H2

I don't think any of these problems Ryzen is suffering is new, Wendell picked up on this years ago when looking at the performance of a Zen+ Threadripper from 2019 on Linux and Windows:

7:45 onwards

A bit latter he did a follow up. 10:45ish '..the CPU's really are running at 100%, their busy doing something.......suggests something is broken in Windows about dealing with these threads'

I'm no programmer and I'm sure this stuff is cutting edge and difficult but for AMD and Microsoft to take 5 years to finally fix Ryzen thread scheduling and branch prediction? I guess you could argue given AMD's market position it wasn't worth Microsoft's time and resources to invest in addressing the issues with Ryzen but they've effectively left a whole generation of performance improvements on table in software updates. It will be interesting to see how this updates effects older CPU's (going back to the Zen 1).

Last edited:
tried that steam didnt see anything, even though the drive had all the files on it, and i changed target location to the folder but no joy, around 700gb to do again :cry::eek:
It should be possible to point steam to your steam folder on the driver where all the games are installed. I’ve done it a dozen or more times and did tit again a week or so back.

It should be possible to point steam to your steam folder on the driver where all the games are installed. I’ve done it a dozen or more times and did tit again a week or so back.

i did with destiny it started to verify the game but then the download started at around 40gb, but the game folder was the full 129gb installed, i had to format my ssd completly and have started again, intrestingly when i did look at the install location a second time my 8tb drive was reading as 0gb with no free space, but when i formated its working as it should

Back
Top Bottom