• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Caporegime
Isn't zen 5c something like an ecore variant? Or am I completely wrong?

I'm talking about the normal desktop x900 part having 12cores on a single ccd. Top it up with the 3d cache magic and I'm switching.

They are low power cores but not in the same sense as Intel, they are actually full size cores just clocked lower, for data centre at least, they could be full clocked for desktop if AMD decide to use them for Desktop.

Soldato
They are low power cores but not in the same sense as Intel, they are actually full size cores just clocked lower, for data centre at least, they could be full clocked for desktop if AMD decide to use them for Desktop.
But that's not a proper desktop replacement I assume, from what I read (not much) it's supposed to be use for ultracomputers and stuff.

Caporegime
But that's not a proper desktop replacement I assume, from what I read (not much) it's supposed to be use for ultracomputers and stuff.

Since Ryzen AMD have only made one type of core in one type of layout, the CCD's you get for super computers and data centre are exactly the same CCD's as they use for retail desktop. Its a one for all design.

The only chips that are different are APU's, they are, well... APU's. :)

Associate
They can, the question is will they. AMD would probably like to do more AM4 chips, but they would need to support all the AM4 chipsets, or they would be a lot of hate. The board makers would not like having to add support for new chips, they want to sell new stuff and forget about the older stuff.
6nm Zen3+ with a 5950X3D would be a very hot seller IMHO.

Associate
We'd likely get something close to Intel 12th series at lower TDP and more than competitive pricing IMHO, it would come at a risk to cannibalize lower end zen 4 though.

Associate
looks like AMD has realised there's not much point to go above 16 cores on the mainstream side so zen 5 will also just top off at that.

I feel like even 16 cores is probably a bit unnecessary, and if you really need the cores just go to threadripper which should start at 16 cores anyway.

its 2023 now, 6 cores should be the minimum, 8 the standard and 12 is ideal for all round use. as the recent X3D chips have proven, IPC gains and cache is more important than core count.

Caporegime
looks like AMD has realised there's not much point to go above 16 cores on the mainstream side so zen 5 will also just top off at that.

I feel like even 16 cores is probably a bit unnecessary, and if you really need the cores just go to threadripper which should start at 16 cores anyway.

its 2023 now, 6 cores should be the minimum, 8 the standard and 12 is ideal for all round use. as the recent X3D chips have proven, IPC gains and cache is more important than core count.
Look like another 35% boost in performance tho....

So long as they keep doing that, IMO that's better than just adding more cores, its all good, this is not stagnation :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Developers target midrange hardware, if the midrange had 16 cores, software/games would use them. The hardware needs to be out before developers will target it. AMD should not stops adding cores or it will be the quad core stagnation again but this time 6/8 cores. They should add at least two cores per-CCD.

Soldato
Developers target midrange hardware, if the midrange had 16 cores, software/games would use them. The hardware needs to be out before developers will target it. AMD should not stops adding cores or it will be the quad core stagnation again but this time 6/8 cores. They should add at least two cores per-CCD.

The entry level i5 is currently at 10 cores. The i5 13500 is 14c 20t. Intel have been pushing core count hard for some time now.

Back
Top Bottom