• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
So far most tests I've seen of memory over 7000MT with 2:1 mode shown that in most cases timings matter more than speed. It's usually better to run 6400MT with tighter timings than the faster modules. But it depends on use case. There's a reason AMD said new CPUs have sweet spot of 6400MT 1:1.

They both have same memory controller apparently (current and 9k series), so should behave in almost the same (if not identical) way with memory
What about when you start to get to 8000mhz and above, is there a tipping point where running 2-1 mode becomes better than 1-1.

Associate
What about when you start to get to 8000mhz and above, is there a tipping point where running 2-1 mode becomes better than 1-1.
It reminds to be seen, so far I've not seen tests that would show definite advantage of faster memory Vs 1:1 one with tighter timings.

Associate
+10%S
- 2% M

That's...not great is it.
Surely, suuuurely that's not right :/
It doesn't match here;

They show the 7950X MT score at 19227.

Soldato
Hopefully that turns out to be genuine. It's cool running to although it doesn't say what cooler was used. Looking good.
The 7x chips run cool when the power is dropped, its the boost that jacks up the heat.
7950X at 65W TDP(~88W) is ~40-55C ( depending on ambient temp ) at 100% load using a 360 AIO.

Soldato
It doesn't match here;

They show the 7950X MT score at 19227.

But the 9950X only scored 20550, thats like 1 or 2% faster in synthetics, you're not going to notice any real world performance difference at all.

Soldato
ASRock just dropped another bios for my board, guessing there'll be others too. Second one this now for the new ryzen chips. This one says "9000 series optimisations." So go check people if you are planning on buying the new cpus, get your bios upto date. :)

I'm just flashing now.... Ooo errr.

Soldato
Depends how good the benchmark is.
I think there'll be a decent uplift in games given the decent single threaded performance.
AMD have said that Zen5 will not be faster than Zen4x3d in most games, on average. We'll see big gains in productivity and general compute, but will have to wait for Zen5X3D for a big gaming performance increase.

Hopefully Zen5X3D and ArrowLake from Intel launch together around the 5090 release, will be interesting times :D

Back
Top Bottom