• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

I am looking forward to seeing reviews, and might consider going for a 9900X or 9950X (current system has a 5800X) but it will be a hard sell if they launch even more expensive than the 7000 series were at their launch! Would definitely wait for prices to come down.

I wonder if the current intel i9 13&14th gen controversies will increase consumer demand for top end AMD chips in the short term if a bunch of people jump ship, which might be bad for pricing...

Last edited:
One last money grab before the launch of the 9000 series.
Yeah, The board I was looking at last week also went back up again from £215 to £265.

I am in no rush to upgrade so will wait for them to go back down or buy a new board in September if they do not go back down

Is it time to think about replacing my 3950x for video encoding workloads (x264 Handbrake) do you think?

Or they've just moved the sensor to the hottest part of the die to ensure the thermal mechanisms work, somethings are explained easier than others with less words lol
Sure you're absolutely right. For me it was the "management" word in there that drives the thought of this being more than just moving a sensor. Sensor /= manage. Sensor + behavioural changes = management.

*shrug* Marketing bs maybe

Im still running a 3800x. Would really love to get the new x3d cpu's when they release and i do have the money for it. But at the end of the day all i do is play WOW classic(not even often now) and browse the web, cant remember the last time i played another game on my PC. Its just too easy to buy it on the PS5 and play it on that.

I keep looking at new and upcoming games and nothing seems worth upgrading my PC for to play vs loading it up on the PS5. I still love pc's but the cost of entry now a days to be a PC gamer and run at a decent Resolution and FPS just does not seem worth it vs the PS5.

I do still like keeping an eye on the performance and latest stuff, even though i am unlikely to feel the need to upgrade.

Anyone else just like to read about it rather than actually buy it?

Last edited:
Sure you're absolutely right. For me it was the "management" word in there that drives the thought of this being more than just moving a sensor. Sensor /= manage. Sensor + behavioural changes = management.

*shrug* Marketing bs maybe

Not so much bs but certainly the truth hiding in plain sight. Keep in mind that the purpose of functions such as PROCHOT and Thermtrip is to prevent damage to the CPU. If you're ending up with a big ol' hole in the substrate it's safe to say the sensor possibly wasn't best placed, even if they claim to have been weighting the reading. Props for being fairly open about this in the deep dive, though - even if it doesn't directly allude to there being a problem.

Last edited:
I'm wondering upgrade from my 3950x to a 7950x3d or just go all out on a 9950x3d (if they release one otherwise 9950), I chose not to upgrade from 3950x to 5950x because the gains were marginal, so I'm wondering if the gains will be similar between the 7 and 9 series

Back
Top Bottom