• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

just checked asus and new bios dropped for x670e hero v2124 update agesa version to 1.2.0.0a.

might install in the morning :)

Bios updated to v2124, applied all old expo settings 6200mhz 1:1 with cpu, booted in right away, theres a new section to let windows dynamic lighting work, and when i got in to the os, i can finally use windows dynamic lighting control, turn my rgb led brightness down :), and ready for ryzen 9000 series too XD

Last edited:
Let's hope they don't increase in price because what's happening with intel :(
AMD would never do that right? :cry: A lot of enthusiast forget these companies are increasingly beholden to shareholders. The same investment groups own shares in AMD,Intel and Nvidia, so will push for similar behaviour.These include Vanguard and BlackRock.

When Zen3 beat Intel,AMD pushed pricing up and removed some nice extras. Some on here justified the price rises. The same when Zen4 pricing which was a bit too high. I also remember back in the Athlon 64 era too,AMD pushed pricing up too. Also look at AMD RX7000 launch pricing?

This is why the way for best pricing is both companies duking it out in performance. If not you see what happens - Nvidia pushing pricing up and Intel releasing quad cores for a decade.

The reality also is these companies have figured out(Nvidia did it first with Turing) if they overprice the new generation,they can clear out current stocks without much of a reduction.

Personally I hope the pricing isn't too bad - I want a 9700X/9800X3D as I was an early adopter of AM4. But if it is I will just wait for a deal.

So why is there flagship 7950x CPU cheaper then a 7950X3D
:confused:

I thought the 7950X3D was meant to be faster & better then the 7950x

Good thing i went with intel i as really no understand the AMD cpu naming these days

With Zen4,the X3D CPUs are worse for productivity. So think of it as:
1.)Productivity range 7950X>7900X>7700X>7700>8700f>7600X>7600>7500F>8400F
2.)Gaming range 7950X3D>7900X3D>7800X3D

That is the AMD order organised by RRP. However,in reality:
1.)The 7800X3D is generally cheaper and sometimes faster than the 7950X3D in games. The 7900X3D is the worst of both worlds. So prices have dropped on the other X3D CPUs,especially the 7900X3D as they are probably not as popular.
2.)7900 prices also have dropped,because it is a less popular SKU AFAIK. The 8700F and 8400F are not well priced. The 7700/7700X pricing has also stayed high.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Leak on tweaktown saying coming from BestBuy pricing as follows
9950X $499
9900X $399
9700X $299
9600X $229

good stock of 9900x and 9700x

ahh, see others already put up...be good if they are that price...think they'll sell well

Last edited:
Leak on tweaktown saying coming from BestBuy pricing as follows
9950X $499
9900X $399
9700X $299
9600X $229

good stock of 9900x and 9700x

ahh, see others already put up...be good if they are that price...think they'll sell well
We'll have VAT, early adopters tax and UK retailer gouging to contend with.........

We'll have VAT, early adopters tax and UK retailer gouging to contend with.........
true but gbpusd is 1.2916 spot at mo so vat should get taken care of easily by exchange rate...early adpoter tax and retail margin though....I def got caught with that one whe the 7800x3d launched :cry:

A board I was looking at is £185 in the US but over here the cheapest is £290 which is over a 55% increase, it even works out quite a bit cheaper to import but obviously the warranty would be an issue.

I thought the launch 7800X3D price was pretty fair to be honest.
It was around £450 at launch? That’s quite a lot for an 8 core these days, after 3 months it was going for around £370 which is probably a more reasonable price with the £450 being the early adopters tax.

Ignoring core count was it good value compared to it's competition? That's the thing thing for most people. Assuming gaming as the use case it still seems great value

Last edited:
It was around £450 at launch? That’s quite a lot for an 8 core these days, after 3 months it was going for around £370 which is probably a more reasonable price with the £450 being the early adopters tax.
yup.. i did the preorder at £440

Ignoring core count was it good value compared to it's competition? That's they thing thing for most people. Assuming gaming as the use case it still seems great value
Was it good though when you could just wait 3 months and get 20% off.

Was it good though when you could just wait 3 months and get 20% off.

Without the obligatory time machine then.... yeah ? I think it probably was.
After a few seconds scanning a HUB video from the launch, it was cheaper and faster than a 13900K.

**for the given market** - At that point in time it was good value, waiting 3 months and getting 20% off made it even better value. Personally I don't often buy brand new top end kit anyway but lots of people do, and for them it seems like it was a good investment even at launch price.
I'd buy a 2 core chip if it beat everything else on the market and was cheaper for my use case.

Last edited:
I'm planning on going the platform this year, assuming the cpus are good and gpu next year once the next lot are out and assuming they are good. But I'm on a 3900x cpu so will be a bigger jump for me.
I will be coming from Sandybridge-E so I'm expecting nosebleeds :-)

Im not waiting for X870, And the wait for me would probably be longer as Im going ITX and that usually takes a little bit longer for a decent selection of boards to appear.
I have 2 plans
#1 Just buy a 9950X and pair it with the Asus ROG Strix X670E-I so I futureproof for USB 4 - I just need to work out if the daughterboard for that mobo will block anything as space is tight.
#2 - take the sensible approach, wait a week, maybe 10 days and see what the 7950X prices do after release and pair it with the same mobo.

I think which option will depend on the reviews, it has been so long now since my last build I have run out of patience..

Without the obligatory time machine then.... yeah ? I think it probably was.
After a few seconds scanning a HUB video from the launch, it was cheaper and faster than a 13900K.

**for the given market** - At that point in time it was good value, waiting 3 months and getting 20% off made it even better value. Personally I don't often buy brand new top end kit anyway but lots of people do, and for them it seems like it was a good investment even at launch price.
I'd buy a 2 core chip if it beat everything else on the market and was cheaper for my use case.
you don’t need a Time Machine to know AMD CPU prices drop shortly after launch, I’m in the market for the 9800X3D but will leave it a couple of months unless it launches at sub £400.

That's also my thinking, but you'll know full well there are enthusiasts (looking at you OCUK forums..) that will buy the latest and greatest upon release. I have no idea how big that market is though and whether it's worth the initial suppression of buyers looking for value & the potentially negative slant it might give to early reviews.
I'd imagine AMD do know however, so maybe it works well enough for them/Intel that this is why we are where we are?

CPU prices have never bothered me. I find it odd that people will spend easily £1,000+ on a GPU but don't like spending £3-400 on a CPU, which for me personally, I tend to keep longer than any GPU (I kept my 5800x for 3 years and bought it on release - £428.99 from OcUK). And it is fine if people don't want to buy straight away but if I see any of you buying a new GPU over £300 I'll not be happy. :p

CPU prices have never bothered me. I find it odd that people will spend easily £1,000+ on a GPU but don't like spending £3-400 on a CPU, which for me personally, I tend to keep longer than any GPU (I kept my 5800x for 3 years and bought it on release - £428.99 from OcUK). And it is fine if people don't want to buy straight away but if I see any of you buying a new GPU over £300 I'll not be happy. :p
It's kinda like the people that will argue to death over CPU power consumption while their GPU runs 300w-450w+

Back
Top Bottom