• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Man of Honour
CPU prices have never bothered me. I find it odd that people will spend easily £1,000+ on a GPU but don't like spending £3-400 on a CPU, which for me personally, I tend to keep longer than any GPU (I kept my 5800x for 3 years and bought it on release - £428.99 from OcUK). And it is fine if people don't want to buy straight away but if I see any of you buying a new GPU over £300 I'll not be happy. :p
I think that's partly because a new graphics card is a really visible thing, whereas CPUs are nearly irrelevant past a certain point, so they're a way harder sell at £300-400+.

I'd say that's why there is hype over the X3D and we're prepared to pay for it, but not the other CPUs, because the X3D is the only CPU that has a noticeable impact.

It is pretty easy to ignore a CPU upgrade for 3 generations and not even notice, but not sure I'd say the same about high-end graphics.

Associate
It was around £450 at launch? That’s quite a lot for an 8 core these days, after 3 months it was going for around £370 which is probably a more reasonable price with the £450 being the early adopters tax.
So you gave up 3 months to save £70 (£23 a month). That might be worth it if it's a small upgrade, but there will always be a new CPU or a price drop upcoming if you wait.

Associate
unlike most here, I don't really care for X3D models
What I want is improved responsiveness/latency.

I'm pulling the trigger if 9950X is under 600 and exceeds 20% faster than my 7700X in browser benchmarks
Or even better if 9700X could be tweaked to match 9950 in single thread

Soldato
So you gave up 3 months to save £70 (£23 a month). That might be worth it if it's a small upgrade, but there will always be a new CPU or a price drop upcoming if you wait.
CPUs will be cheaper, boards will be cheaper especially the current stuff once the new chipsets arrive, ram continues to fall so the saving could be a couple of hundred in the end.

PCs are expensive these days so any savings are not to be sniffed at.

I’ve been putting together parts for my new build since the start of the year and got everything so far on a deal which has saved about £300

Last edited:
Man of Honour
unlike most here, I don't really care for X3D models
What I want is improved responsiveness/latency.

I'm pulling the trigger if 9950X is under 600 and exceeds 20% faster than my 7700X in browser benchmarks
Or even better if 9700X could be tweaked to match 9950 in single thread
Latency? Browser benchmarks? Are you some kind of minute-by-minute trader, or a scalper of pricing errors? :o

Associate
Latency? Browser benchmarks? Are you some kind of minute-by-minute trader, or a scalper of pricing errors? :o
In other tasks CPUs have been fast enough to not make much difference.

But responsiveness is something that you will perceive in all desktop activity. And browser benchmarks show that. Not that I'm looking for 2ms faster webpage render. but its a good proxy for nicer desktop experience
And same sort of improvements would often improve 1% low fps. Again, metric only captured by benchmarks, but you will feel 1% stutters

Associate
CPUs will be cheaper, boards will be cheaper especially the current stuff once the new chipsets arrive, ram continues to fall so the saving could be a couple of hundred in the end.

PCs are expensive these days so any savings are not to be sniffed at.

I’ve been putting together parts for my new build since the start of the year and got everything so far on a deal which has saved about £300
Sorry i just reread what i wrote, i wasn't intending to "call you out" more put a value on the difference as everyone has a different "Time Vs Money" ratio. £20 is a few pints in London, drinking and PC's are expensive these days!

Soldato
It was around £450 at launch? That’s quite a lot for an 8 core these days, after 3 months it was going for around £370 which is probably a more reasonable price with the £450 being the early adopters tax.

AMD cpu prices certainly seem to drop off fairly quickly, especially at the top end,where as Intel CPU'S rarely see drops up until going EOL.

Previous notable examples

1800x dropped fairly quickly down from £500 / 500 dollars down to 469 dollars within three months and then 359 dollars early the year after relase (9 months after release)

The 5950x and the 7950x dropped from their typical UK price of £750 within a year of release.

Drops on previous X3d chips as well

It's certainly worth waiting 3-4 months after relase if you can.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato

I expect the prices to fall quickly on these esp when x3d variants are out.
Six core CCD is probably not helping.

Last edited:
Soldato

I expect the prices to fall quickly on these esp when x3d variants are out.
Ram speed 7200 with IF 2400, glad I didn’t buy any ram yet, might be worth getting a high speed kit now before the panic buying raises price

Something like this could be just the ticket.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £123.98 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ram speed 7200 with IF 2400, glad I didn’t buy any ram yet, might be worth getting a high speed kit now before the panic buying raises price
Would be very surprised if they can all do that :o I guess 9900X wouldn't be a top bin though.

Back
Top Bottom