• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Associate
is it confirmed yet whether Escher (8x Zen5 core APU), will use 8x Zen5 or 8x Zen5c?

with it coming out so close behind Strix (4x Zen5 + 8x Zen5c), i do wonder if it would opt for the latter.
and if it does would that that make it a good base for a Steamdeck/Aerith 2.0 APU?

Soldato
Caporegime
I was watching MLID is last night, for context this is someone who will make very wide ranging and multiple claims so that he can say "i was right"

So last night he said "Zen 5 will not get a 50% IPC gain" those rumours are not true.

Ok, no one ever said 50% IPC gain, what people have said is 30 to 40% and not necessarily just IPC but overall performance, he also rubished all of that but its interesting that he keeps moving the goalposts up the closer we get to release.

Now he's saying +30 to 40% is possible, what he previously rubished.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Regardless of what it is, wait for X3D.

AMD has proved twice now that there is no reason to get the non X3D processors, they have no real advantage in real life applications

Last edited:
Associate

AMD has proved twice now that there is no reason to get the non X3D processors, they have no real advantage in real life applications
I don't know according to Tech Power up there is only 4% difference between 7950X & 7950X 3D. Not to sure that is really worth the wait?

Soldato

I disagree, if all you do is game, then get the X3D, if you do real work then the X can be the faster option. Most software gets little to no benefit from the extra L3.

Soldato
OP
Did you deliberately cut the legend off so no one could see you quoting the 720p results? As you probably will know I was quoting 4k results which is almost certainly more valid to the majority of users here trying to decide what they should pair with there 4090 and if they should wait for the X 3D variant

4k results is stupid for a cpu benchmark and you know it

Soldato
There are some games, example Cyberpunk, that are hard to drive @ 4k with RT on max. Literally destroys 8 core CPU's in some areas.
Where are these areas that figuratively destroy 8 core CPU?
If you were truly playing at 4K max RT you would be looking at fps in the 20s on a 4090 probably. More like 13 fps on a 4080. :p

With a lot of upscaling and lower settings I can see big differences between CPU performance on a 5800X3D and 7800X3D which are both 8 cores. If there's a decent uplift in per core perf in Zen5 then the 8 cores will be fine for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom