• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Associate
It went 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000, 7000, and next 9000 for desktop. APU's went 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 8000.

Zen 1 was 1000
Zen 2 was 3000
Zen 3 was 5000
Zen 4 is 7000
Zen 5 looks like 9000.

If the pattern holds Zen 6 will be 11000 or AMD will rehash the branding entirely.

The only reason 2000 was more than just APUs / OEM stuff was because AMD released Zen 1+ as an actual part but it was not a new Zen iteration so did not get the 3000 branding.

Last edited:
Associate
yes, but there is a difference between NPU TOPS and total-system TOPS.

i.e. Hawkpoint
NPU = 16
CPU = ~3
GPU = ~20

so when i say i don't believe the WCCFTech article, it's because i don't believe strix point has just 25 TOPS from the NPU (half that of strix halo).

specifically - i believe that both products use the same XDNA2 NPU at similar clocks, and both will achieve ~45 TOPS from the NPU.
I think this is near enough confirmed now:

AMD Ryzen AI 9 HX 170 CPU. The APU features 12 cores & 24 threads based on the Zen 5-core architecture. The chip has a clock speed of up to 5.1 GHz, up to 77 AI TOPS (45 XDNA TOPS), and 36 MB of cache.

Caporegime
Associate
i've seen it elsewhere that the breakdown is 16TOPS(cpu)/16TOPS(gpu)/42TOPS(npu), be interesting to see how that compares to Hawkpoint...?

Last edited:
Soldato
Right now, are there any desktop applications utilising the AI parts of these chips?
I know Windows 11 will soon, but having a dedicated AI section of a CPU just to harvest data and send back to Microsoft isn't really that appealing to me.

At the moment, it's feeling like just a way to slap an "AI" badge on. Which makes sense, as that's all you need at the moment. Just say AI and money flows.

Soldato
OP
Right now, are there any desktop applications utilising the AI parts of these chips?
I know Windows 11 will soon, but having a dedicated AI section of a CPU just to harvest data and send back to Microsoft isn't really that appealing to me.

At the moment, it's feeling like just a way to slap an "AI" badge on. Which makes sense, as that's all you need at the moment. Just say AI and money flows.

As far as I know there isn't really anything using those cores that could be considered "real world". On phones AI cores are used heavily for photo and video processing, so maybe on PC Photoshop will use those cores

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess it's a "build it and they will come" type thing, but I wonder if by the time we see proper apps using it, these initial NPU offerings might be a bit rubbish.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would prefer AMD used the silicon for something useful (CPU cores, quad channel RAM, Extra PCIe lanes, better iGPU…), basically anything other than AI. Think I will skip the 9x chips, hopefully the AI BS will be over for the Zen 6/7.

Caporegime
Soldato
Lenovo employee says Zen5 has 10% higher IPC than Zen4

I thought someone said "Can't wait to show you Zen 5" like a year or 2 back? Was it Jim Keller? 10% is pretty disappointing, putting it very mildly. I know there's clock speed on top but a small bit isn't going to make much difference.

Soldato
who cares about IPC speculations
the elephant is in another room: "In addition, Win10 enthusiasts please note that starting from Strix Point, AMD will not provide Win10 drivers"

grrrr

I don’t think that’s going to be much of a problem unless you buy a laptop in kit form.

Associate
I don’t think that’s going to be much of a problem unless you buy a laptop in kit form.
I bet same will apply to Zen 5 desktop
I don't see any benefit in Win11 and the only "reason" to upgrade is being forced like this by made up requirements
oh joy, time to study ways to make win11 reasonable (no MS account, replace start menu, remove ads, reduce background bloat, whatever the story about Virtualization-Based Security)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom