American Car Insurance, one for our American Posters ?

Caporegime
can somebody clarify how car insurance works in america ? been watching Hogan Knows Best on MTV, and its one of the older ones where his son gets "his learners permit"

at this point my jaw dropped. At the ripe old age of 15, he got let loose in a car with only having to sit a written exam and an interview at the Driving Agency. After passing this basic test, he is allowed to drive any car, providing an adult is in it

and this was the best bit, apparently in the state of florida this automatically turns into a full drivers license at the age of 16 ? without them ever having driven a car ? i was like WTF ???

so anyway, he gets learners permit at 15, then proceeds to drive his Tuned Toyota Supra !!

i know id heard that things were a bit more relaxed over there, but getting insurance to drive a supra at 15 ?

Has hogan just paid like 10k for insurance, or what ?

Caporegime
OP
Morba said:
its american
its mtv

i was thinking i was going to get some constructive input on how American Car Insurance works

I'm still in shock that the only thing you need to drive a car in florida is a written exam and a statement from your parents that you've driven 50 hours and to not have got any points

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/geninfo.html

cant believe theres no practical exam at all. And at a time when we're proposing to put the minimum driving age to 18, they allow 15 year olds to drive.

Caporegime
OP
Stolly said:
They may not have a real problem of 17 year old idiots wrapping their Saxo's around trees killing four teenagers at a go....

good point

but why is the boy racer phenomen specific to the UK ? young lads like fast cars no matter where they're from.

and ive just seen this post in another thread

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9870580&postcount=26

seems that, like id read, all they have over there is some basic form of liability insurance. Much like insuring a house, so car insurance is the same for every car they drive. Doesnt make any difference if you drive a Ford Focus or a Supra at 16, insurance will be more or less the same.

seems i live in the wrong country ...

Back
Top Bottom