Amking GUI for a Python script to run on Windows for Dummies (& how to make a windows installer)

Caporegime
I have been tasked with putting a GUI front end on a python script such that the script can be run under windows (anything from XP, Vista, 7) by some city engineers who's IT ability extends merely to clicking few buttons, and not running a very simple script form a command line (they done know what a command line is).

The scripts are all finished and run on Linux/OSX just fine. The scripts have dependencies on 2 libraries:

mechanize http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/

BeautifulSoup http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/

I know nothing of python and my first thoughts were to see if the python could be compiled to something cross-platform and GUI friendly such as Java. But I don't think projects like Jython would really remove the Python dependency and therefore may simply be another complexifying step.

I don't want to re-write all the scripts, mainly because I don't want to try to find exact drop in replacements for the 2 dependencies listed above. I'm sure this could be done but it just seems like too much work and I don't have the time.

My next thoughts were something like using EasyGUI because it looks, well, very easy to use, and then figuring out how to package everything up in a Windows installer so that the user just downloads an executable form a an email I send, which will install python, the 2 libraries above, EasyGUI library and allows the python script to be run by simply double clicking an icon installed to the desktop. The program will likely be used only once by the user, so a good uninstaller would also be nice.

So I have 2 questions:
1) Anyone know of a nice way to put a GUI front-end on some python scripts that will run natively on windows without having to manually install anything, set any environment/path variables, etc.?

2) Anyone know how to make a windows installer that would install python + 2 or 3 dependencies in any easy, fool-proof manner? If so, how much work is this?

Jython completely "removes" Python from the equation. It's simply Python Syntax for Java - there's no Python compiler, libraries, or other involved.

As for installer, perhaps WiX?

I thought that was the case but when I was looking at tutorials they were all running a python terminal and running java commands within python, which is not what I wanted.

How would Jython work if I have 2-3 external python Libraries. I understand that Jython wont work if their are any C Python dependencies, but i don't know of an easy way to check for this?

Provided there are no CPython dependencies, how would I go about converting the python script to Java importing the 2-3 libraries?

Back
Top Bottom