• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ampere owners - do you own a FE/reference or AIB model?

Ampere owners, do you own an FE or AIB Model?

• FE

Votes: 156 67.8%
  • AIB

Votes: 74 32.2%

• Total voters
Caporegime
As per subject title.

Be interesting to see just how many people on here own a FE, obviously we are a niche forum of "enthusiasts" so won't be representative for the mass majority of PC gamers.....

Caporegime
OP
Interesting that 70% of people on here managed to get an FE. According to some on this forum they’re unicorn products that are unobtanium..

Those people have vested/emotional interest, which they make plain every time they post :p

This thread clearly shows that many of us were able to source an FE, and thus it's perfectly fair to compare FE pricing to AIB pricing, where an FE equivalent does not exist.

Can't say I am too surprised by the results tbh, I always knew that plenty of people both online and in real life have been able to get FE easily enough with a bit of prep. work and effort, this thread just goes to prove it now.

But no doubt you'll still get some who will be adamant that they are unicorns or "fake" cards or/and that nvidia are only selling them to miners...... :o :p

Would certainly be interesting to see a wider pool of results though as given that we are enthusiasts... the majority here clearly aren't willing to "overpay" for said gpus so would casual pc gamers be willing to overpay for the AIB models too?

I was also thinking of making the thread for amd rdna 2 reference vs AIB too but given that there is "zero" chance at all of getting reference cards in UK, didn't see the point in it :p

Caporegime
OP
I got my 3080 FE back in January, first time having a go, iirc, was on dc part alerts for about 3-4 weeks and had it with the first drop I seen, only effort I went to was ensuring that my account details and billing stuff was all set up, logged into said site with dc in the background.

@Nexus18 you could do with a third poll option: both

I was considering it (as well as doing a "MSRP AIB" and "scalped AIB" options) but didn't see much point as the main objective of this thread is just to see how many here ended up with a FE given that we have many saying "unicorns", "nigh on impossible to get one" etc. etc. That and as you know, a good few bought an AIB to pass them over until they got a FE to only then sell on the AIB for a profit :p

It just shows most of the AIBs are in the hands of miners and the majority of normal users made the sensible choice to try to source an FE card.

But aren't nvidia suppose to only be selling their FEs to miners????? ;) :cry:

Caporegime
OP
Voted. However, would have also taken FE. Availability was dictating factor.

Why was this bumped?

Same old talk of how apparently it is/was impossible to get FE in rdna 3 thread yet according to this poll, shows it mustn't have been too bad :cry: :p Hence the bump just to see if any new voters and so on.

Caporegime
OP
Depends on timescale though. Now isn't the same as nearly a year ago as Nvidia have been releasing more and more FEs lately, haven't they?

Results won't suddenly change over night, as said, this thread is in reference to comments made in rdna 3 thread, I am curious to see if FE will take of now though or if AIB will since their prices have crashed. I don't think there has been much of an improvement in the FE availability situation for ampere but could be wrong on that.

Caporegime
OP
In analysing your results, you should also take into account that any time somebody posted here last year asking when graphics cards would come back into stock they were instructed to install telegram and be ready to instantly react to buy an FE card, usually by multiple posters.

Not sure how you ought to account for that sample bias in your report, though.

As per OP:

As per subject title.

Be interesting to see just how many people on here own a FE, obviously we are a niche forum of "enthusiasts" so won't be representative for the mass majority of PC gamers.....

Thread was created to see just how many had FE compared to AIB as we have had a few saying "fake msrp", "can't buy a fe", "everyone has had to pay the scalping prices" etc. this thread proves otherwise.

No doubting if you wanted to buy a FE, you would have had to sign up to telegram etc. same way you also had to do the same for rdna 2 and even consoles last year.

Caporegime
OP
People who came here looking for a graphics card got told to sign up to alerts and buy an FE card. It is in the class of "well duh" statistical analysis to then have a poll that finds that people who come here have indeed in many cases signed up to alerts and bought an FE card. It doesn't prove anything.

That doesn't make FE cards in any reasonable or sensible way generally available. They are clearly not impossible to buy, but trying to get one comes with an opportunity cost which can be insurmountable for many people.

Given you bumped this thread because some[1] pointed this out in the AMD thread in relation to pricing and availability, I might as well carry on here:

For that reason (the opportunity cost), when it comes to price comparison they don't count (so "fake MSRP") - just as AMD MBA cards don't count when they aren't generally available either (or cost more than their MSRP). The reasonable price comparison is between products that are generally available to buy without jumping through additional hoops, which was and currently is, and probably will be for at least the near future AIB to AIB.

Oh and it wasn't necessary to sign up for alerts to get an RDNA 2 card.

[1] Me included, but that was only because somebody said FE cards were available for over 15 minutes, like it was some kind of mega-flood of availability. It's not. FE cards should only be considered generally available[2] when a potential customer can go the Nvidia site at a time of their choosing and order one. Until then, it's just marketing bait and switch.
[2] You're in the business so you know what GA means, right? When a product is available to buy, yes?

It proves that the comments of:

"fake msrp", "can't buy a fe", "everyone has had to pay the scalping prices"

Are a load of nonsense as this polls shows that we could in fact buy FE at MSRP. Even poor Tommy managed to get one after what a year or 2? :cry: :p So again, it's not "fake"..... Fake to me is a place holder price where there is "zero" chance of being able to buy for MSRP, this was not the case as proven by this poll.

You're also missing this point:

No doubting if you wanted to buy a FE, you would have had to sign up to telegram etc. same way you also had to do the same for rdna 2 and even consoles last year.

That goes for AIB models last year too.

I was signed up for both the 6800xt and 3080 as originally was siding with 6800xt but like I said, I saw hardly any pop up in stock let alone for msrp.

If people chose to pay AIB prices or/and not hold out for nvidia FE, that is their choice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It's a "fake msrp" if you can't get a FE today.

You "can't buy a fe" right now, it'll take approximately 14 months to get one.:p

Nearly "everyone has had to pay the scalping prices"

Not according to this poll

Osi9x21.png

:cry:

No, I explicitly answered that point.

I know that because I bought an AIB RDNA 2 card, last year. Without signing up for any alerts.

By your very own reasoning (at least some people managed to buy without signing up for alerts) that means your highlighted assertion is a load of nonsense. Or does it take setting up a poll with an inbuilt selection bias to "prove" it?

You on the other hand are ignoring the fact that if an individual is unable (say through work or other commitments) to jump throught the extra hoops needed to get an FE card even now then Nvidia's MSRP is entirely irrelevant to them - it is a completely fake MSRP to them because they cannot take advantage of it.

Even if an individual can make themself and their credit card available at Nvidia's convenience to give them money within the very narrow time window the FE cards are actually available (15 whole minutes last time!), that having to make themself available at a moments notice also imposes a cost on them. Not necessarily a direct monetary cost, but one such that buying a more expensive card that is available when it's convenient for them to buy (rather than convenient to Nvidia to sell) is more attractive. Just because you might not consciously value your time enough to care about the extra effort you have to go to buy an FE card doesn't mean there isn't a cost to it and again points to the MSRP of the FE cards not telling the whole story.

In short, the MRSP of FE cards is "fake" because the product is not generally available.

You bumped this thread to try to "prove" that the FE MSRP is a valid comparison point, so I'll make this point again: if you want to make a sound price comparison you need to compare products that are similarly available to you to buy. That means AIB to AIB. Not AIB to FE and likely not MBA to FE either. Not until FE cards and MBA cards are properly in stock.

Again, you are missing the point:

Now look at this poll and see just how false/fake those statements are.... oh wait. Want me to screenshot my invoice order showing 3080 FE for £650 too? Therefore it is not a case of

It really is very simple this. Want to know how we could easily "correct" this so people stop getting their panties in a twist:

"Whilst it is possible to buy a FE, due to how quickly they go out of stock, it is very hard to get one, not impossible, however, you will have a better chance of buying an overpriced AIB compared to FE"

Simple.

Maybe create a thread for rdna 2 to see just how many people in the UK managed to get "MBA" for MSRP, I would certainly be interested in seeing them figures :)

PS. I was working during the time and managed to get it fine, as pointed out above and I know a couple in real life, they managed just fine to get one on their mobile when out and about.... Suppose those are "fake" comments too though?

Again, read this:

If people chose to pay AIB prices or/and not hold out for nvidia FE, that is their choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom