Amsterdam Holiday

Associate
After giving up on finding a nice holiday in the UK me and the girlfriend are looking at Amsterdam for 5 days over easter.

I know the OcUK community is well traveled so was after some advice, please!

Any recommendations on hotels?
Ive had a quick look earlier and seen "Sofitel Amsterdam The Grand" and "Park Hotel"

Whats the best location to be in?
seems to be broken up into squares with every one claiming to be the best for tourists!?

Any places/things I must do?
I do like the idea of a meal on a canal boat :)

I plan to do more research at home tonight but for now im at work so would really like some help to get an idea of what to lookout for.

Thank you.

Associate
OP
Was in Amsterdam for a few days last week, stayed at Hotel83 opposite the peep show in the RLD, nice place with big rooms and en-suites, certainly better than other hotels we have stayed in before for the same price.

Do not waste money on a taxi or bus from the airport to Amsterdam, a train from under the airport only costs 4.80euros each way, a return day ticket to Haarlem is 7.60euros.

Thank you for this, exactly the kind of information im after. Nice pictures btw! I plan to have a day of annoying the GF by taking pictures of everything that moves and doesnt.

Associate
OP
Our hotel was in Leidesplien (may have misspelt that). It was a good 15 minute walk from the redlight - which is surprisingly difficult to find, so get a map.

I never felt scared / vulnerable at any time, even at night. The food places were a bit hit and miss but theres loads of them so maybe we just got unlucky.

The coffee shops can seem bizarre at first, but they are class. Try Coffee Shop BaBa if you like trance :) some great shops around there too, kinky shops that is.

Other than that, day time adventures - heineken museum is alright, van gogh museum was alright, anne frank house is good.

I can't wait to go back actually, we stayed there for about 3 nights. Want to go back in next few months as it gets a little bit warmer. It was snowing when we went and I had broken my foot about 2 days before we left :(

I dont know if i would stay in the marriott again, purely cus its so far away. Apart from that, its a good hotel with nice food.

Im excited about the coffee shops but not much of a smoker these days, going to plan in the fact of doing NOTHING after abit of sampling :)

I looked at the Marriott and the distance was my initial doubt about the hotel.

Where there any square/areas you would recommend as being a good mix of shops/coffeshops/food? im still having problems working out whats in different areas.

Back
Top Bottom