Amsterdam Holiday

Associate
After giving up on finding a nice holiday in the UK me and the girlfriend are looking at Amsterdam for 5 days over easter.

I know the OcUK community is well traveled so was after some advice, please!

Any recommendations on hotels?
Ive had a quick look earlier and seen "Sofitel Amsterdam The Grand" and "Park Hotel"

Whats the best location to be in?
seems to be broken up into squares with every one claiming to be the best for tourists!?

Any places/things I must do?
I do like the idea of a meal on a canal boat :)

I plan to do more research at home tonight but for now im at work so would really like some help to get an idea of what to lookout for.

Thank you.

Associate
Went a few ago. The price over easter when we looked seemed very expensive not sure whether budget is a massive concern.

Personally, i feel that i would have not enjoyed Amsterdam as much if had gone with my girlfriend rather then a group of my mates. Red light districk and Febo is a must when you go there.

Associate
went with a few mates a couple of years ago, instead of hotels etc we rented out our own house boat. Good way to have your own space etc.

Don't know if it's something you and the Gf would fancy but worth having a look.

This one seems good for 2

http://www.amsterdamstay.com/apartments/Amsterdam_Houseboats/40.html

Incidently I am there again next week for a stag do. Dunno where we are staying as it's all been sorted out by the best man.

Associate
Honestly?

I wouldn't go back to amsterdam. It's expensive, quite seedy and if you're not into your prostitutes or weed then it's a bit dull.

I did however find a cool indoor kart place with lazer quest attached just outside the city!

*these are my views from a stag do 2 years ago.

daz

daz

Soldato
Check out Café de Klos for a nice steak whilst you're there, near to Leidseplein.

You should probably also sample a Wok to Walk for lunch one day too. :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Why would you take a woman to the Dam ? :confused:
Do you know how many you could buy for the price if her ticket/fair ? :D

Anywho,
The city is Gorgeous if you stay out the red light crap hole canal area & avoid the crack heads.

Associate
Rent some bikes and stay away from the central district / red light district.

Check out all the parks and open spaces. Full of wonderful cafes and bars.

Soldato
There is a "hostel" called Winston's right near Dam square which is awesome value for money. The rooms are OK, not luxury but not shabby at all and location is great. A bar downstairs and next to all the eateries and places you'd want to go!

daz

daz

Soldato
Had an awesome night in Winstons. They play dubstep which is exactly the kind of music you need at that point.

Associate
Amsterdam is nice. You can have holidays of varying types there!

The first time I went, I (a female!) went with 2 guys who didn't even drink let alone any thing else. We had a lovely time exploring the parks and the such. We stayed in a cheap 3 bed hostel type room thing.

I returned again with a friend who does enjoy more of what Amsterdam is famous for and we again had a brilliant time! (Except for the food poisoning we got staying in a decent hotel!! :().

Now I've done it twice from two different angles, I am in no rush to go back again though.

Caporegime
Was in Amsterdam for a few days last week, stayed at Hotel83 opposite the peep show in the RLD, nice place with big rooms and en-suites, certainly better than other hotels we have stayed in before for the same price.

Also spent a day in Haarlem, looked at a few things there including the RLD which is much smaller than you woulg find in the centrum or even the De pijp area of Amsterdam.

working windmill Adriaan
IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

cathedral with second largest organ in the world I believe.
IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Do not waste money on a taxi or bus from the airport to Amsterdam, a train from under the airport only costs 4.80euros each way, a return day ticket to Haarlem is 7.60euros.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom