An interesting email

Soldato
I wonder when the first cases of this will be legit with video captured from your smartphone cam, which people rarely cover unlike their laptop or PC webcams.

Soldato
I dont get this -- is it the fact you don't have a webcam that tipped you off to the obvious ******** in this email or otherwise would you have fallen for it?

It's the fact it was supposedly, me looking up NSFW stuff, on a web cam, on my work PC. I think I was one of the first people I knew to get this type of threat email, months ago. I laughed as it's a new tactic that scammers were trying that I'd not had done to me before.

Soldato
I had a hilarious one which was so stupid I thought a friend had sent it as a prank. It started like a normal email, gaining access blah blah but then went on about the sites I visited and was shocked at some of them. The phase the email used was 'I want to say, you are a BIG pervert'. It even ended with 'Do not hold evil, I just do my job. Good Luck' It was so stupid I can't see how anyone would fall for that.

Soldato
I had a hilarious one which was so stupid I thought a friend had sent it as a prank. It started like a normal email, gaining access blah blah but then went on about the sites I visited and was shocked at some of them. The phase the email used was 'I want to say, you are a BIG pervert'. It even ended with 'Do not hold evil, I just do my job. Good Luck' It was so stupid I can't see how anyone would fall for that.

but the scary thing is people believe these things. It's frightening. If only there was something obvious in these emails like claiming to have hacked a webcam you dont have to tip-off that it's a scam and everyone would be safe.

Associate

Surely the sender must know that the people that fall for these emails will not have the skills to transfer using btc or know what btc is, as some of them instruct.

Soldato
Some poor sods probably kill themselves when they get these emails, personally I wouldn't care if videos of me were circulated, I'd just tell everyone I'd joined the Conservative party so am obviously a ******!

Soldato
Surely the sender must know that the people that fall for these emails will not have the skills to transfer using btc or know what btc is, as some of them instruct.

I got one of these a while back, although it was worded slightly differently. They wanted $900 or so in bitcoin and it even had a handy link to explain how to buy and send bitcoin.

I knew it was bozwelox, but for a second I got a cold shiver as I never usually have a webcam, but was using a borrowed laptop at the time lol. Then read on and it was an obvious scam with things like "there is a single pixel; embedded in this email that tells me when it has been read, you have 24 hours from this point to pay up". The webcam is now taped over though, just in case :D.

Commissario
I've just had one of these - It was to my Paypal email address which isn't used for anything other than logging in to Paypal. However, checking in 1Password, it seems that a couple of sites I've bought stuff from have used it as a login address. One of those is Banggood which I ordered an antenna analyser from back in early 2017.

Interestingly, this one doesn't quote a password at me and the text itself is on an attachment so it won't be scanned for keywords by spam filters.

Z0jDq9x.jpeg

Although the from address is my Paypal address, the 'reply to' address is
[email protected] which I'm happy to post here because with a bit of luck, it'll get farmed ;)

My Paypal account is secure and all my passwords are long, complex and unique. I'm not concerned about this at all.

Soldato
I had the same email as Feek about 2/3 days ago except mine was nearly impossible to read. I dunno what happened but there was loads of junk characters between nearly every sentence.

Soldato
e "there is a single pixel; embedded in this email that tells me when it has been read, you have 24 hours from this point to pay up".

That is actually possible, at at least it was before emeial clients generally disabled remote content by default, You have a 1x1 pixel image in the html email which is pulled from the senders hosting, the image doesn't actually exist as a file, it get redirected to a script, and the filename (which is a unique random string) is passed to the secript as a variable, the script will in return serve the one pixel image back, then it'll search a database for the unique string which has been stored against the email address it was originally sent to and record it as being read and that the email address is live.

You used to get security utilites which blocked such things along with other privacy invasions, not sure its required now as all email clients will turn off external content unless you speciailly click for it to load it

Soldato
Strangely received one of these emails today. The password in the email was one i used many years ago but i still use it for a PC I rarely log on to. It doesn't have a mic or camera either. I checked my email login attempts and it looks like 2 days ago they were unsuccessfully trying to logon. Got to love MFA as well :D

Soldato
My latest one for the collection.

ATTN: m[email protected]

The last time you visited a Ƿorn website with teenagers,
you downloaded and installed the vίrus I developed.

My program has turned on your cam and recorded the act
of your ʍasturbation..

My software also downloaded all your email contact lίsts
and a list of your friends on Facebook.

I have the - Arclight.mp4 - with you jerkίng
off to teens, as well as a file with all your contacts
on my computer.

You are very Ƿerverted!

If you want me to delete both files and keep the secret,
you must send me the Bitcoin payment.
I gıve you 72 houɼs onɭy to transƒer the funds.

If you don't know how to pay with Bitcoin,
visit Google and search - how to buy bitcoin.

Send 2,000 GBP = 0.3018134 BTC
to this Bitcoin address as soon as possible:

3HDZv7nqYNH3oycAuCviUu39MWPmDkRRky

(copy & pαste)

1 BTC = 6,680 GBP right now, so send exactly 0.3018134 BTC
to the address above.

Do not try to cheat me!
As soon as you open this Email I will know you opened it.
I am tracking all actions on your device..

This Bitcoin address is linked to you onɭy,
so I will know when you send the correct amount.
When you pay in full, I will remove both files and deactivate
my program.

If you choose to not send the btc...
I will send your ʍasturbation vίdeo to
ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND ASSOCIATES from your
contact lists that I hacked.

Here are the payment details again:

Send 2,000 GBP (0.3018134 BTC)
to this Bitcoin address:

0.3018134 BTC

to:

3HDZv7nqYNH3oycAuCviUu39MWPmDkRRky

(copy & pαste)

You саn visit police but nobody can help you.
I know what I am doing.
I don't live in your country and I know how
to stay anonymous.

Don't try to deceive me - I will know it
immediately - my spy software is recording all the
websites you visit and all your key presses.
If you do - I will send this ugly vίd to eveɼyone you know,
INCLUDING YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS.

Don't cheat me! Don't forget the shame and if you ignore
this message your life will be ruined.

I am waiting for your Bitcoin payment.
You have 72 houɼs ɭeft.

Aʼnonym0us Hʌcker

P.S. If you need more time to buy and send BTC,
open your notepad and write '48h more'.
This way you can contact me.
I will consider gıving you another 48 houɼs
befoɼe I releɑse the vίd, but onɭy when I see that
you are really struggling to buy bitcoin.
I KNOW you can afford it - so don't play around...

Have to say, I am curious as to the use of random characters in certain words, like 'perverted' for example. Wonder if it's to circumvent some kind of filter in India, or whatever third world craphole they're in?

Back
Top Bottom