An old one - i5 3570K overclocking

Soldato
Hello,

I've been stubbornly refusing to upgrade my computer as most of the games I play are either older examples or more 'competitive'-style games like CS/Quake where I don't care about graphic quality. I've just been steadily increasing my overclock as the years pass to stay at a reasonable balance between fps and visuals. However, Doom and BL3 are now out (encouraging a full upgrade, which is now being budgeted for).

In the meantime, I'm trying squeeze just a little bit more out of my 3570K, which is currently on a 4.2GHz clock, nice and stable at 1.15v, with a max temp over 3 hours of torture testing in Prime95 of 69'C. I have been trying this morning to get it to 4.4 - and perhaps the magical 4.5GHz - but I'm bluescreening on boot at 4.4GHz.

To achieve 4.4GHz, I kept the BCLK/PEG frequency at 100 and set the multiplier to 44. I then set the memory frequency to 1866MHz, to match my ram, and first tried with a voltage of 1.2, then 1.25 (which as I understand is toward the top end of recommended voltages for these chips). Load Line Calibration was set to Auto (I was tempted to change this, but couldn't decipher if Level 1 or Level 5 was the highest in my caffeine-deprived state), which should be fine from what I had read.

Is there anything I'm missing, or are there additional settings I should be playing with? I appreciate this is an old CPU now and probably long forgotten about, but they were popular back in the day, and pretty reliable overclockers so hopefully some of you still recall something about them!

Specs:
i5 3570k
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
16GB (2x8GB) Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo (with two fans) - not the best, I know, but seems reasonable given the current temps
3GB GTX1060
520W Seasonic PSU

Thanks very much,
Cookeh

Back
Top Bottom