• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

An X3D CPU, but not for gaming !

Man of Honour

Says (about middle of the page) the 7700X is the better chip by a small margin for that use.

EDIT: This is the problem with the 7800x3D though it is a great CPU for gaming - the 14700K absolutely obliterates it for uses like this:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For that you have to look to the 7950x3D (or 7950x) which are much more expensive CPUs again - although there are some decent deals on them cropping up currently if you look around.

Shame workstation CPUs and motherboards have gone to silly money for the most part now - 10 years ago you only had to pay a moderate premium over the consumer desktop platform to get into the HEDT/mid-range workstation systems which were suited to tasks like this.

Man of Honour
MongoDB likes lots of memory and fast cores. I'm curious if the extra cache of X3D, of say the 7800X3D, would give better performance than the faster clocks of the 7700X ?
Without some benchmarks of that specific app/workload it's impossible to say, but at the same price, the 7900 is usually a better productivity CPU than the 7800X3D.

Man of Honour
Without some benchmarks of that specific app/workload it's impossible to say

Without the user's specific setup it is difficult but there is a MongoDB benchmark in the middle of the page on the links I put above - it isn't really an application which plays to the strengths of the AMD CPUs by the looks of it - the AMD CPU results are 2-3 generations behind Intel in that specific usage.

Man of Honour
Without the user's specific setup it is difficult but there is a MongoDB benchmark in the middle of the page on the links I put above - it isn't really an application which plays to the strengths of the AMD CPUs by the looks of it - the AMD CPU results are 2-3 generations behind Intel in that specific usage.
Oh, I didn't notice. From the results, it looks like cores and single thread, but not cache, though I don't know how representative the benchmark is for the OP's workload.

Back
Top Bottom