Anarchistic bands/music - what does it achieve and is it internally conflicted?

Soldato
Ive been reliving my youth a little lately by listening to a lot of Rage Against the Machine. When I was younger I just liked their sound, I paid no attention to their political messages, Im quite conservative politically as ive got older. I wasnt as keen on their later albums.

It got me thinking though so I read up a little on them, and found out about their later incarnations such as Prophets of Rage (basically the original band minus de la Rocha).

Anyway, in my research Ive percieved what I think is an internal conflict in this type of music and so I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Taking Rage as the example, they could be described as anti corporate America. So they oppose capitalism, yet they signed up to a huge record label and made their fortunes from that very thing. Rage themselves have addressed this criticism by saying that "When you live in a capitalistic society, the currency of the dissemination of information goes through capitalistic channels." - quote from Morello on wikipedia.

But beyond this there are other issues too. They appear to be anti middle eastern intervention, even Arab supporting. Yet the Arabs are one of the most conservative cultures in the world, oppressive to women, have quite barbaric capital punishment regimes, clear links to terrorism that has killed millions and are often strong dictatorships rather than democracy.

The Rage songs are associated with hatred against the police, images of rioting in their videos etc, yet those same types of people are also prone to heavy alcohol and drug use, use of violence etc. Quite the opposite from being 'anti system', these people are just signed up to an equally damaging and addictive one.

So are these types of bands simply internally hypocritical, or is there a bigger picture that Im missing? What other bands of this type have the same hypocritical issues and what are they?

Soldato
OP
Interesting points guys, thanks.

For me this is part of a wider set of thoughts Ive lately being having. Im nearly 40, and Ive never been part of any 'movement', whatever it might be for. I was thinking lately whether I've missed out on life by not caring that much about things like this when I was younger. There are people I meet as I get older that seem to have done this, that and the other when they were students. Eg camping in front of parliament, marching against some pretty pathetic sounding cause for pretty weak reasons that made no difference. I said to one person, "I think you've just done this because all your friends were doing it and you didn't want to miss out".

If I had my time again, I'd probably try and infiltrate my way into some sort of student/youth movement. Not because I care about the cause, but because I think it would have benefited me socially and there would have been nice girls there that would be into me because they think I am genuine.

Back
Top Bottom