Android app to take commands via wifi?

Soldato
Hi all

Before I try to write an app to do this does anyone know of an existing app that will either take commands from a remote machine or automatically/periodically download them via xml or similar and then perform them?

An example would be to get the device to launch the movie player and play a video (possible with parameters such as loop 10 times but that isn't important right now).

All help appreciated :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
You don't need ADB for SSH do you? By that I mean, once you're connected to SSH the phone doesn't care if you're wireless or USB connected. ADB doesn't come into play.

Soldato
OP
Ah ok, I saw the commands being used and assumed it was ADB. Just playing with SSH now but looks like a I need root privilege to launch apps / intents.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Ah damn. Are you willing to root your device? Usually it's pretty simple to do and unleashes your phone quite a lot.

For example, I'm currently doing some Android development and being able to SSH into the /data/data partition to view private app files/settings has made life a lot easier. Usually that folder is locked away.

Soldato
OP
It's ok I've managed to sort it. Instead of launching direct through SSH I called ADB over SSH :) Now I'm busy scripting file copying (video files), then launching them in the movie player... Exactly what I wanted!

Thanks a lot Pho, really appreciate al your help :D

Back
Top Bottom