Android auto maps not switching to dark mode

Soldato
Hi all, anyone any ideas on this?

If I set the settings to automatic, I don't get dark mode on android auto Google maps at night. If I manually set dark mode, it works until I reconnect then it's back to light mode again.

My head unit is set to dim (and light up the external side buttons with a night time backlight) based on the lights of the car being on or off, so it follows them whether in manual or automatic switched position. When this happens, android auto also switches my maps to dark mode. I recall there being an android auto setting for this as well though which might be conflicting?

Edit: is it a new head unit? Just if it is and it has not been wired up correctly with the illumination wire (often orange I think) then it won't detect lights being on and won't do the night dimming/light up buttons which could affect things.

Last edited:
It's a completely integrated infotainment system in a new mg5.

I've found settings on the infotainment system and within android auto itself to switch between light,dark or automatic. Automatic doesn't work.

It's a completely integrated infotainment system in a new mg5.

I've found settings on the infotainment system and within android auto itself to switch between light,dark or automatic. Automatic doesn't work.
So if you go out now when it's clearly dark and the car lights come on dipped beam, it stays bright white maps?

What about on your mobile phone with it NOT connected to android auto?

You could check the Developer Settings for Android Auto, there's a setting there that also determines what should be controlling how the dark mode map is enabled...whether it should be controlled by the car, or the phone. If its not set already, try setting it to Car Controlled, then see if this affects what happens. Does the car only change to dark mode when the lights are switched on?

Might also be worth checking the interior dimmer switch for your instrument display. On my car, AA switches between light/dark mode automatically based on ambient light in the cabin...however, if the lights are on and the interior dimmer switch is set to it's brightest position, then AA will remain in light mode no matter what.

Last edited:
if you go out now when it's clearly dark and the car lights come on dipped beam, it stays bright white maps?

Correct. I can only manually switch it to dark mode by going into settings once connected to android auto and manually changing it to dark from automatic.

What about on your mobile phone with it NOT connected to android auto?

Switches to dark automatically on my phone once I start navigation.

could check the Developer Settings for Android Auto, there's a setting there that also determines what should be controlling how the dark mode map is enabled...whether it should be controlled by the car, or the phone.

Do you know how to access this please? I can access android developer settings, and I can access android auto app settings, I can't see a setting that you describe in either menu.

Do you know how to access this please? I can access android developer settings, and I can access android auto app settings, I can't see a setting that you describe in either menu.

Android Auto > Advanced > Additional settings in the app.
Then tap Version and Permission info 10 times.

Try that.
On my phone (Pixel 7) you go Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > Android Auto > tap Version and Permission Info 10 times and it enables access to Developer Mode via the three dot menu top right.

Last edited:
Try this. Turn the lights of the car to fully off, then back to auto or on. Does that kick auto into life and make it switch to dark mode? It might be because the lights are in auto mode or on before the head unit boots up and it can't detect any change.

Last edited:

Try that.
On my phone (Pixel 7) you go Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > Android Auto > tap Version and Permission Info 10 times and it enables access to Developer Mode via the three dot menu top right.
Try this. Turn the lights of the car to fully off, then back to auto or on. Does that kick auto into life and make it switch to dark mode? It might be because the lights are in auto mode or on before the head unit boots up and it can't detect any change.

Will see if either of these work tomorrow when back in the car at night. Thanks.

This is what happens (and fixes the issue) on my mg4 occasionally, I'll get in car auto lights will be on but android auto will be bright - flick the light switch quickly between manual and auto again and it works properly again

Back
Top Bottom