"Android is much more customizable"

Soldato
In a month I'll be eligible to upgrade my horribly slow Symbian-powered Samsung INNOV8. My fiancee has an iPhone4 and I admit I like it very much and would like to get one. Before she bought it, we looked at the HTC Desire and it also looked like a nice phone.

On this forum there are a lot of people who like their Android phones and the phrase that often pops up is that "Android is much more customizable" but I'm still unsure if that would benefit me. I bought my INNOV8 thinking that I'd be able to do lots of exciting things with it, but in the end there doesn't seem to be a great deal I can do to it (I'm sure Android has much more support).

What do people actually do to their Android phones? In the past I'd have been attracted to the idea of tampering with a gadget just for the sake of it, but now I'm not that bothered unless it's something really entertaining or beneficial. Is it all a case of downloading CPU meters and altering the priority of tasks to save battery life, or is there more to it than that?

I think what I'm saying is that from what I've seen, the iPhone4 does what I want, but I'd like to hear if I'm missing out on something that might make me consider (specifically) the Desire HD. Tinkering about with a phone does appeal, but in my older years I generally use an operating system as a platform to do things I want (email, web, games), rather than seeing the OS as a challenge to be moulded to my will.

Soldato
OP
I realised that the whole subject was a potentially contentious one, so I tried to put my initial post in a fairly neutral fashion. I know people feel strongly about one platform over another - there's something about gadgets and computers that brings it out in all of us, but I was sort of hoping that people would say exactly what they've done to their Android phone to take advantage of the platform. One or two people have said bits and pieces, but the rest of it seems to be arguing.

I've just been browsing some of the 'top app' sites for Android to see what's on offer but it's not clear to me what apps allow you to do things that you couldn't do on an iPhone (I don't know enough about iOS to know exactly what Jobs doesn't want people doing). Fortunately one of my mates has said he's getting a Desire HD as soon as it's released, so I'll get to have a play around on that before I have to make a decision.

Back
Top Bottom