"Android is much more customizable"

Caporegime
Firstly, let me say that I agree with you on security. I have no problem with the premise that BBs are more secure than both Android and iPhone. However, since you come across a little lecturing and overly annoyed I must pick up on the REAL reason most businesses use Blackberries: Familiarity and cost.

Let me explain:

Blackberries were the first decent 'smart' phones. They had no real competition outside the first Windows Mobile phones and Palm-style pocket PCs. Businesses picked up the Blackberry and adopted it. Right now businesses have a system their employees are familiar with and all their PC software can talk to. Changing to Android or iOS will be time-consuming and costly. Costly because if you're a business you're more than likely buying lots of new units, might have to pay for different software that helps your business talk to your new devices and productivity may well drop until your new employees become more familiar with the new system. If anyone tells you it's about security just scream at them 'b*ll*cks!'. If security was really an issue for businesses they'd all have adopted Linux a loooooong time ago. Hell, thousands of businesses are still on Windows 2000, XP and running IE5 or 6!!! Security indeed! We're all aware that even if adopting Linux is too big a jump you should at least have Windows 7 and be accessing the net on Chrome or Firefox.......and maybe even Safari or IE9 if you twisted my arm hard enough.

As for the bit about the banking sector :confused: I don't see the connection apart from RIM being Canadian. That's like saying because France do the best Sauvignon Blanc we should also buy French shoes. Germany produce excellent cars; I wouldn't recommend their cuisine.

Well, now you know.

LOL seriously wind your neck in fella, there was nothing about my post that was 'lecturing'...i was just making a few points thats all to clear up any confusion.

Regarding your other points i agree with you...a lot of businesses/corps take up BB's for their employees because of the familiarity and cost issue plus the security side is very big...i run a BES server from my office and i can literally 'nuke' any device thats on my BES server....for a lot of companies that plays a huge part of factoring in mobile devices.

Please do tell me about how Blackberrys works... oh wait aparently you just have. Please do tell me though, am I speaking to Spawn, or is this his brother who, by the sounds of things, probably wrote the OS itself.

Before you lecture me, telling me to read up on the (oh holy) Canadian banking system, re-read the post to make sure you know what I actually put.

That has nothing to do with what I put. Well done Obama though, isn't he a nice guy?

That last bit in my original reply was supposed to be sarcastic (hence 'pesky'). Obviously not enough sarcastic smiles for you, here, have two :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, "it's encrypted". I'm glad for the Blackberry users out there, knowing that their data can never be unencrypted...

It's good to hear when companies have so much profit and generate an encryption that's uncrackable (currently looking for the chip that Intel said was uncrackable but was [not the hdcp stuff recently]).

And you too can wind your neck in as well...as for sarcasm on here??..surely you realise that sarcasm on here doesnt work very well...so im afraid i didnt quite get your 'supposed' sarcasm:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and for the record next time you want portray sarcasm to me then kindly dont use the rolleyes icon...better to use this ;) or this :p..comes across as your joking etc.

And i suggest you stop making stupid comments regarding my brother, doesnt make you look big nor smart:)...theres no need to bring him in here or unless you want me to start making stupid comments about your family members then i can play that game as well...feel free to email me, email is in my trust if you have an issue with me.

Associate
...as for sarcasm on here??..surely you realise that sarcasm on here doesnt work very well...so im afraid i didnt quite get your 'supposed' sarcasm:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and for the record next time you want portray sarcasm to me then kindly dont use the rolleyes icon...better to use this ;) or this :p..comes across as your joking etc.

roll1.png

roll4.png

roll5.png

roll6.png

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p;););):p:p:p:p:p;);););):p:p:p:p;););):rolleyes:

Soldato
Strange thread, never knew people cared so deeply about a mobile phone!

Anyway, I just got a Desire and I'm new to smart phones, without sifting through a 300 page thread, is there any list of essential apps/other things which is quite accurate that I could give a read and learn stuff?

Soldato
People who ring up Support centres should get an iPhone.

Leave Android to the people who can operate computers.

I like to press Menu on my Android phone, unlike Fisher Price handsets.

It's obvious Apple only trust you with one button. Might get a bit complicated else.

I have an iPhone because my phone is not my computer. More customisability isn't always good. I don't want to mess around with cooked ROMs or third-party UIs or software which may or may not be compatible with my particular phone for some esoteric reason. I definitely don't want to wait four months after the latest version of Android comes out, so that my particular phone manufacturer can 'customise' it for my handset. I want something with an attractive UI that does the basic things, like browsing and listening to music, really well. That has nothing to do with being stupid.

Last edited:
Soldato
^ don't feed the troll :p

Anyway, I thought customisation was the ability to set your home screen to display any info you want. Adding a calendar widget is as simple as changing the background image. I'm sure most iPhone users move app icons around all the time, I know I do, trying out a new music widget is no different.

Soldato
I have an iPhone because my phone is not my computer. More customisability isn't always good. I don't want to mess around with cooked ROMs or third-party UIs or software which may or may not be compatible with my particular phone for some esoteric reason. I definitely don't want to wait four months after the latest version of Android comes out, so that my particular phone manufacturer can 'customise' it for my handset. I want something with an attractive UI that does the basic things, like browsing and listening to music, really well. That has nothing to do with being stupid.

Amen, some of us have a phone as a tool, rather than a toy.

Back
Top Bottom