Anonymous burner phone - not sus

Associate
Hey, it seems more and more sites are using 'log in with google' and I don't mess with google, I don't agree with what they do.

But I would like to use some of these sites so it leaves me in a quandary. To create a gmail you need a phone number and they don't accept any of those temporarySMS type numbers. I've got a PAYG sim and a phone but it seems "£10 7gb" on the label means nothing, you need to set up a direct debit or something, this tying the number to a person.

I'm pretty diligent about doing all I can not to be tracked by the likes of google. I've heard of 'burner phones' and I guess that's what I'm after really but how to get a line without giving up details?

If this thread isn't deleted, lol, I look forward to your feedback ;)

maybe hiring a virtual number for a year would be an idea but what if I need to log in, in 2 years time and I don't have access to that number anymore? Can you change the phone number on the account?

Even then, there's a digital paper trail to a person... I guess the age of anonymity is truly gone? Who knows if the temp number company sells data to google.

Last edited:
Short of going off-grid you can't really hide from Google any more - even if you don't supply them data directly they have some pretty crazy ability to infer data about you indirectly from companies and people you interact with who do provide them data. It is why people need to push back if it gets too intrusive and sadly most are very passive about it, even will defend companies like Google...
"...but it's free!"

you forgot FBI and DEA

you want to look at hardware based Keys and TOTP set ups for MFA or self hosted options that exclude txt msg set up. but really depends on the indivdual site opten they give you the option of setting up your authentication method instead of forcing txt msgs
thanks but it's the 'log in with google' thing that's the issue, gmail needs a phone number to create an account.

OP: I don't mess with google but also want to mess with google by using some of the sweet, sweet treasures they make available but only if I can use a burner phone - no, I'm serious, bear with me - because I'm a drug lord at the same time? What should I do other than just sign up like a normal person? A ha! I should post my problem on the internet so that google will pick it up anyway!
these are not google services I'm interested in using, they are sites that require a gmail (or sometimes FB) account to login. It's something more and more sites are doing for the sake of 'convenience' I guess.

I feel like I've been clear in the reasoning...
site needs google account to log in
google account needs phone number
payg needs a direct debit
"anonymity is dead!"
shakes fist at cloud

that's all this thread is. I'd hoped some helpful bod would have said 'oh, no, you just need to... xyz"

Last edited:
You can sign up for a Google account without a phone number.

I did this on a new tablet the other day, online(PC) there was no option to verify without phone number. Using a device it let me select a secondary email for verification and recovery.
thanks for the reminder about devices not needing a phone number... I just used wifi to create a gmail account... didn't even need the top up card in the end... see? This is why I made the thread ;)

Back
Top Bottom