Anonymous on the Internet - Maintaining Anonymity

Soldato
With the recent re-emergence of 'Anonymous' (read a specific topic on him / her / them on another forum) it got me thinking that how does an organisation stay anonymous on the internet, because surely on some level there is a way of finding out who each person is?

It amused me that Anonymous and to a lesser extent anonymous artist Banksy have a raft of social media platforms to promote themselves yet they still want to be anonymous.

At a basic level, if you sign up to a social media platform you have to give away a certain amount of personal information and if what I've been reading correctly, occassionally they may ask you to email them a form of identification so that your account can be 'verified'.

I've seen on here that there are the obvious ways to trace back certain elements within either an email header or website using tools like whoislookup etc to find things which aren't necessarily readily available to the average person (although these tools make it available).

Pieces of information, like contact information, can be withheld by a website if you pay x amount so people can't see that when they use lookup tools, however, the website host will still have that information.

On a higher level of anonymity, the use of a VPN to disguise where in the world you are. Surely if you sign up to one of these then the company themselves will hold information on who you are and can theoretically be hacked and information found out?

Regardless of you stance on ethical / unethical hacking / cyber attacks / cyber terrorism or whatever you want to call it surely someone somewhere can find out who these people are?

Does anyone agree or can someone truly remain anonymous on the internet?

Back
Top Bottom