another car vs house deposit

Soldato
there is an S4 i want to go see this afternoon, basically the biggest thing ive got against getting is that the money ive got put aside is in this wild hope ill be able to cobble together the deposit for a place soon

the audi is only £5k-£6k but obviously is a fair chunk of the deposit ive saved for

car or house

i already have a car and tbh only want to change because im getting a bit bored of it

Soldato
OP
It doesn't matter how epic a car is, your own pad is better!

yup. thats what my head keeps saying. my heart is saying other things that im desperately trying to ignore

house prices are OK at the moment, but i wanted them to drop further. i think ill be making hte jump in 5-6 months

as for the s4, the running costs would be like any other 300bhp saloon for 10 years ago, i can justify all that, but not when im on the brink of getting on the property ladder. burning money through renting sucks and ive been saying for years theres going to be another recession. ive spent less on rent in 2 years than other people i know have lost on negitive equity though

Soldato
OP
the thread says exactly what i thought it would. i could replace the missing money in 8-9 months or whatever but in 8-9 months that wedge would have an S4 sized lump missing.

looking after the car would be no issue at all, im not worried about two of everything breaking or 25mpg, ive had all that before, but in the past id never have had a chance to get on the property ladder (sensibly)

anyway, im keeping the golf. i might experiment with tyre pressures or get new suspension to sort the ride out, and itll be getting some paint this winter

have to wait and see what house prices do. im relatively clueless about that sort of thing, but i still feel theyre high compared to what stuff cost when i left uni

Soldato
OP
thats still going. consuming money slowly. on target for its deadline... now running costs on that will be eye widening

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;15030931 said:
Car, its only £5k not as if you are blowing away £25k or something.

5k is a portion of this little deposit ive got tucked away

if house time does crop up, i wont be able to just pull 5k out of thin air, add to that an S4 will have far higher running costs than my old golf, so everything indicates to leaving the money in the bank because i may need it. the house is more important than another car

i still cant stop myself from checking ebay/autotrader/pistonheads every day though

i keep trying to kid myself that its a good idea, but put simply, id be mad to get rid of the golf to start with. it is stupidly reliable, costs peanuts to run, nothing breaks and its fun.

phantom, how did you afford the car and the house? youve saved far better than i have :p

Soldato
OP
yup they definately look better and the shock value of an estate that goes like dung off a shovel. they look plain jane and unassuming, theyll be comfortable and quiet. i really want one

Soldato
OP
im renting a place anyway, but thats a head blag, its as good as burning the money, hence i wanna buy

well... once the 928 is on the road, ill get my kicks that way

Soldato
OP
see im trying to justify the car thing by spending a very minimal amount on it, no where near £26k :D but it seems a waste as i dont have endless money and may need it in the near future

Back
Top Bottom