Another cinema chain going down the pan

Caporegime
Empire Cinemas is biting the bullet now. Closing pretty much all sites. Also heard that the nearest 3 cineworlds to me are in danger too.

Sad times for cinema. Could soon be a footnote in history

It's hard to argue that it's better unless you have a dedicated home cinema room as you're never going to get the same sense of scale or sound without a huge screen and at least two subs and well calibrated surrounds.

Twenty years ago you could watch stuff on a high-end plasma and a good separate sound system and the outlay wasn't much different to what it is now for say an OLED and surround system, but lots more people went to the cinema back then.
It’s a lot different imo. No such thing as HD or 4K HDR back then and audio was nowhere near as immersive as it is today

Well, yes, the technology has obviously moved on, but very few people have a setup on the scale of a cinema with tens or even hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of equipment.

I've got an above-average setup at home and it just doesn't hit you like a cinema experience does with films like Top Gun etc.

The vast majority of people don't use a good TV and certainly don't use a decent sound system, so the reason people don't go has very little to do with the fact that the home experience is more comparable these days, imo.
I suppose it depends what you want in a film. If you are a big action packed blockbuster fan then cinema will always be a cut above, but if you are more of a cerebral movie fan then I argue you get a better experience at home.

Back
Top Bottom