Another Geil 6400 Ultra thread.

Associate
Last year I bought 2 x 1Gb Geil DDR2 CAS4 and E6300 overclocked like a dream on my 965P DS4.

I bought another 2 sticks of DDR2 RAM in October in that weekend deal OCUK were doing. I heard that having 4 sticks of RAM puts strain on the motherboard so I reduced my overclock from 3.2GHz to 2.8GHz and adjusting timings and other voltages to see if 4GB on this system would be stable. It wasn't. Found that the new sticks had failed (by testing each stick on memtest at stock). OCUK RMA'd it (quickly, I might add).

The replaced sticks were fine but could not overclock as well as my year old sticks of RAM. The highest stable overclock I could get with 2GB of new RAM was ~ 2.2GHz. With my old sticks 3.2+GHz. Why is that?

Is there anyway I can get a stable overclock above 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM?
Or are my new sticks rubbish? I wouldn't think it's my PSU. I have an Enermax Liberty 500W.

Associate
Hmmm, was contemplating buying another 2GB kit as well but I may not bother now if that's the case (my existing 2GB GeIL kit was bought in October last year for nearly £200 if I remember correctly! :D)

Back
Top Bottom