1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another green initiative backfires?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mmj_uk, May 15, 2019.

1. Tuppy_Glossop

Mobster

^^^ Yep, it's all about the source. Cheap LEDs use a blue source and spectrally mask the output using chemicals. They usually have a spike at the blue end where most of the source power is. LEDs with red, green, and blue sources vary the individual colour powers to create the desired output, giving much better results. More expensive, though.

2. Rossi~

Capodecina

You know what I mean :p

Also, the sun isn't 5500K, I think you mean daylight ;)

3. Orionaut

Soldato

What temperature is the Sun then?;)

4. Rossi~

Capodecina

5800K-5900K outside our atmosphere

[​IMG]

-ish.

Edit: picture is better.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  5. Orionaut

Soldato

"Green Initiatives" almost always backfire!

Just like other SJW type operations..

It is pretty much a given that any product that claims to be "Environmentally friendly" just won't work.

(In much the same way, IME anything labeled "Fairtrade" will taste like recycled Cat-Poo, made the mistake of buying some "Fairtrade" Coffee yesterday in the hope that things might have improved. They haven't! I like the concept, but the products suck, they really do :( )

What did I read the other day?

If all of Europe switched over to EV's (Something that would have monumental economic, social and infrastructure costs) it would cut global CO2 emissions by....

Wait for it.....

0.7%

What a ******* waste of time and effort! Really!

:rolleyes:

6. Amp34

Caporegime

There’s always one! :p

7. stockhausen

Capodecina

You have a REALLY weird diet mate :eek:

8. Werewolf

Commissario

Not at all.

How much light they give can vary depending on how well made and efficient they are, but they produce a lot more light for the same power input as they don't waste most of it as heat.

9. Tuppy_Glossop

Mobster

And the heat they do produce is produced at the back rather than in front of the bulb. This means that you can get them really close to plants without causing withering.

10. darael

Mobster

I find warm white (2700K) far too yellow and daylight (6500K) too clinical - 4000K is the perfect colour for me.

Something I noticed when trying different colours, 6500K would wake me up instantly and I would find it hard to get back to sleep after turning on a light of this colour.