Another "keep-the-mobo" upgrade...

zer

zer

Associate
Hi there.
I currently own a system based on a Gigabyte 865PE motherboard :p4 2,6Ghz, 1 Gb DDR400 Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro. Do you consider an "adequate" upgrade to hunt for a P4 3,4Ghz (fastest my mobo can take) and also replace graphic card (7800GS comes to mind- i only have AGP)?
Will this cheap upgrade last me for a while? Will i see some difference?
Many thanks in advance

Associate
why not go for a new mobo (AMD) and cpu as it may cost you less than buying an Intel cpu and willl be just as good with the dual achitechture of the latest AMD?

zer

zer

Associate
OP
But then i would have to upgrade the graphic card as well (new motherboards can not support old AGP cards i think, like 9800Pro). So, i would have to buy CPU, motherboard and card which i try to avoid due to budget restrictions.
Any idea?

Associate
You could get a reasonably cheap S939 CPU and clock it up along with an Asrock Dual Sata2 board (the one with AGP and PCI E), that should provide a good performance boost. The Asrock board is about £40 IIRC.

Associate
there is a mobo that supports AGP/PCI-E, (can't remember which 1 in this state :eek: Asrock i think) but as you see in my sig , i got 939 and AGP and there are better g/cards (6800GT) in AGP .

Permabanned
It would make more sense IMO to go the PCIE route. For the £200 you'd spend on a new graphics card you could get a decent AMD 939 motherboard (Abit KN8) and an ATI X850..... You'd have to buy a new cpu of course liked you planned to but you should be able to pick one up quite cheap.
By moving to PCIE with a decent motherboard your potential future upgradability is infinitly higher than staying with AGP.

Associate
pre1twa said:
It would make more sense IMO to go the PCIE route. For the £200 you'd spend on a new graphics card you could get a decent AMD 939 motherboard (Abit KN8) and an ATI X850..... You'd have to buy a new cpu of course liked you planned to but you should be able to pick one up quite cheap.
By moving to PCIE with a decent motherboard your potential future upgradability is infinitly higher than staying with AGP.

Yeah I agree if you carry on messing around with AGP you will be paying through your teeth for a system that is already well out of date

Back
Top Bottom