• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another oddity with my 7900xtx/system.

Associate
Hi,

Encountered another repeatable oddity on my system.

Copying a 45GB file between two NVME drives and windows progress bar chugging along at about 2400mb/s or so and then suddenly blank screen and gfx card fans ramp up to 100%. No response from caps lock etc yet disk activity light on case is showing some activity. No choice put to hold power button down and force a shut off.

Power back up and..... no picture? Sounds of life and disk activity, sounds through audio etc just no picture? Quick press of power button and windows does a clean shutdown, so that's working ok. Proper hard power cycle using PSU power switch, back on and...... picture back? It's almost like the GFX card had locked/crashed? Odd.

On loading windows, desktop in low res, and adrenaline complaining about driver issues. Reinstalled latest and all ok again.

So tried copying file again and..... exactly the same issue, and same resolution?

And the odd part - on 3rd try whilst in low res, I uninstalled AMD software and display drivers, tried copying the large file again and it completed with no issues whatsoever?

Done a scan of all drives for errors etc and none found. Done a memtest86 run on memory too, which was fine. If there were memory issues would expect problems whether driver was installed or not.

Confused as to how having the driver in place causes the issue on the large file transfer? Going to do some more testing to see if I can pinpoint anything but wanted to check whether this is anything anybody has seen before?

Spec - ASRock x570 Tiachi, 5950x, 32gb DDR4 3600 8pack black (4 x 8GB), Sapphire 7900XTX nitro+, Seasonic 1000W psu, Windows 11.

Associate
OP
Make sure bios / chipset drivers are up to date. Do you get any issues in games.
Already all up to date/latest versions. I did have some issues with Baldurs Gate on initial release but these went after numerous game updates. Not had any issues with anything else that I can recall.

Last edited:
Associate
Those NVME’s can get very hot indeed. Might be worth having hw monitor installed to check temps is your case well ventilated.

Associate
OP
Those NVME’s can get very hot indeed. Might be worth having hw monitor installed to check temps is your case well ventilated.
It's in a corsair Air 540 case with plenty of fans, so airflow not a problem. NVME's are cooled by a full plate across the motherboard. I don't think it's heat though as surely it would have the same issue when I tried when gfx driver was not installed, and it copied fine? Copied files between NVME and SATA without issues but then speed is limited by sata bus there.

Odd thing too is that files are being copied between NVMEs that are NOT the OS drive so not sure why drivers would be effected/corrupting?

Associate
It's hard to think that a faulty card could affect nvme file transfers though? If anything I would suspect more driver/amd app related. It's odd that it's a hard crash though, not a blue screen or general error message.
How many times has the driver freaked out? If only once, maybe an NVME heat transfer issue. If more than once, I'd suspect the card.

Associate
OP
How many times has the driver freaked out? If only once, maybe an NVME heat transfer issue. If more than once, I'd suspect the card.
As I said - repeatable. Resolved initial issue, tried again and exact same thing. Will do some more testing tonight. Still baffled by why nvme transfers may be a card issue?

Could just be that the driver corruption "issue" is unrelated and due to just having to forcefully power down the pc, but I can test that tonight too. Odd that file transfer was ok with driver uninstalled though. Need to also test that more in case that was just a fluke too.

Associate
Should be ok is not is ok. Monitor your temps of the NVME drives. I would also suggest disabling any networking just in case Microsoft update is not causing a problem.

Associate
OP
Should be ok is not is ok. Monitor your temps of the NVME drives. I would also suggest disabling any networking just in case Microsoft update is not causing a problem.
I'll monitor things tonight.

As stated in another reply though - the file is being copied between 2 nvme drives that are NOT the OS drive so not sure why driver is being affected.

I had disabled the windows update drivers updates via policy/reg edit previously but will double check it's not been reset by windows and disconnected network just to be sure.

Associate
What happens if you put your card in PCIe 3.0 mode in the BIOs?

Wouldn't surprise me if it was general AMD AM4 CPU/chipset and PCIe 4 issues, similar to the USB dropout issues which were never 100% solved. Had a lot of grief on various boards with NVMe drives disappearing, USBs randomly dropping out and general system instability when a few PCIE 4 devices were connected and in use.

Soldato
Its the infamous Driver timeout issue I suspect, theres a reg file that is going around that fixes it, I was having similar black screens etc until I applied it and the disable mpo mode, I can link them here if you want

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers]
"TdrLevel"=dword:00000003
"TdrDelay"=dword:0000003c
"TdrDdiDelay"=dword:0000003c
"TdrTestMode"=dword:00000000
"TdrDebugMode"=dword:00000002
"TdrLimitTime"=dword:0000003c
"TdrLimitCount"=dword:00000005

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\DCI]
"Timeout"=dword:0000003c

Associate
OP
Ok, decided to have a bash this afternoon.

Setup HWInfo to monitor drive temps. Tried copy... no big temp jump or anything reported whilst copying, nvme around 40'sC constantly then screen off, fans full etc again.

Thought for a minute I may have cracked it as chipset fan profile was set to silent (passive fan) until high temp so thought it may be that getting hot so monitored temp and put normal fan profile back one. Copied file ok on a couple of occasions but other attempts issue returned. :( Chipset temps were fine as well.

Switched PCI mode to PCIE3 for GFX. Issue persists. Only difference is when screen goes off I'm actually able to trigger a safe shutdown by quick press of power button rather than the lockup like symptoms of before. When starting up again, windows reports that card is disabled/down (although display works, full res but guess using MS display driver). Proper power down, switch off then a cold boot and everything fine again.

Tried a couple of drivers versions back too but same thing.

Something is definitely unstable somewhere, and for some reason when the card plays up it almost seems like it crashes internally and needs a proper power cycle to recover oddly. Possibly some wierd card bios issue? I've no idea why drivers/card is affected like this, not seen it on other cards. Just remembered it has the bios switch so may try the other position which I think is safe/standard settings?

I'll also try putting in my old radeon VII again tonight (which is a PCIE 3 card) and do same tests to rule out any board, nvme drive or cpu based issues. Certainly an odd one.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, decided to have a bash this afternoon.

Setup HWInfo to monitor drive temps. Tried copy... no big temp jump or anything reported whilst copying, nvme around 40'sC constantly then screen off, fans full etc again.

Thought for a minute I may have cracked it as chipset fan profile was set to silent (passive fan) until high temp so thought it may be that getting hot so monitored temp and put normal fan profile back one. Copied file ok on a couple of occasions but other attempts issue returned. :( Chipset temps were fine as well.

Switched PCI mode to PCIE3 for GFX. Issue persists. Only difference is when screen goes off I'm actually able to trigger a safe shutdown by quick press of power button rather than the lockup like symptoms of before. When starting up again, windows reports that card is disabled/down (although display works, full res but guess using MS display driver). Proper power down, switch off then a cold boot and everything fine again.

Tried a couple of drivers versions back too but same thing.

Something is definitely unstable somewhere, and for some reason when the card plays up it almost seems like it crashes internally and needs a proper power cycle to recover oddly. Possibly some wierd card bios issue? I've no idea why drivers/card is affected like this, not seen it on other cards. Just remembered it has the bios switch so may try the other position which I think is safe/standard settings?

I'll also try putting in my old radeon VII again tonight (which is a PCIE 3 card) and do same tests to rule out any board, nvme drive or cpu based issues. Certainly an odd one.
Those registry entries above look worth a try, have you tried those yet?

Associate
What card did you have in before ? Did you have the issue before the 7900XTX ? Just seems like it could be motherboard bios related, maybe drop in voltage to pcie whilst copying large file, is it possible to go back a motherboard bios ?

Associate
OP
What card did you have in before ? Did you have the issue before the 7900XTX ? Just seems like it could be motherboard bios related, maybe drop in voltage to pcie whilst copying large file, is it possible to go back a motherboard bios ?
Previous card was a Radeon VII, which I still have and will probably try that later. Don't recall any issues with it - other than not being quite as fast as expected. :D It is a PCIE 3 card though - the 7900XTX is my first PCIE 4 card.

The ASRock Taichi X570 I have has always been a bit..... finicky. May have to look into settings since a lot are on auto, and auto o/c etc. It has odd quirks like when you manually enter the PCI bus speed as 100 it switches back to auto.

I've got 3 NVME drives installed - a WD Black SN850 (Gen 4) in top slot, Samsung 970 Evo Plus in center slot and a WD Black SN750 (Gen 3) in lower slot. Issues I'm having is copying the big file between the two WDs. Samsung is my OS drive and when copying to that it just doesn't get a high sustained throughput - suspect as it's the OS drive and used a lot by other things.

I've been told it's generally not a good idea to revert to earlier bios versions - and there are warnings as such on their website. When I flash a new version I've always reloaded defaults and then entered xmp mode etc afterwards so all fresh settings.

More testing this evening I think and see if I can find anything obvious.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are the NVME drives sharing the same PCI lanes as the graphics card?
Maybe card bandwidth is effected during the transfer which causes the GPU driver to have a fit

What does windows event viewer say the crash is?

Back
Top Bottom