ANOTHER school shooting in the US

Soldato
Just woke up and read about it.

Something must have snapped - I mean one don't just siege a school and shoot down innocent girls who's tied down. He did however, allowed pregnant women and those with infants out - weird move for a Crazy gun man.

Soldato
OP
Surely there must be more support for banning gun ownership in the US now... this is the third gun incident in a school in one week! I understand people who support gun ownership but it's quite simple that if they were illegal then fewer people would own one and these occurances would be less likely.

His wife described him as a loving and caring husband, surely someone must have known something was up with him though. Apparantly something that happened 20 years ago is cause for him to tie the girls up and execute them :confused:

Soldato
Just to update according to the news reporter something happened when the guy was 12 (so 20 years ago), something that caused him to hate girls or something so 20 years later he guns down a few.... w t f.

The only decent thing he done was turn the gun on himself.

I believe 3 of the girls have now died with 6 still in critical condition.

Some people really are sick and twisted.

Permabanned
oxygene said:
Its just plane mad. do people think this would still happen in countries where guns arent as common, or legal, as America?

No doubt the gun nuts would proclaim that this would be just as likely if guns were illegal.......

Soldato
OP
Visage said:
No doubt the gun nuts would proclaim that this would be just as likely if guns were illegal.......

The NRA site on stopping a gun ban is interesting. They're banging on about how the U.N are conspiring against US citizens to take away their right (the 2nd amendment) to bear arms. Calling U.N members "dictatorships, terrorist states and so-called “free” nations of the world".

I wonder how many of those 80million American gun owners can think about the bigger picture and see beyond their "need" to protect their home. I thought the law was there to do that anyway?

Soldato
Visage said:

It is true though...
Esecially in America, if they do ban all ownership of firearms, it will go against some of their act to rights, people will still illegally carry them because "it's their right to protect themself"

Permabanned
Dr Jones said:
It is true though...
Esecially in America, if they do ban all ownership of firearms, it will go against some of their act to rights, people will still illegally carry them because "it's their right to protect themself"

If that was the case then countries without a constitutionally protected right to bear arms would be home to defenceless citizens being attacked on a daily basis....

Only they're not.

If gun ownership is such a good deterrent, why does the US have such high rates of assult, homicide and armed robbery?

Soldato
Visage said:
If that was the case then countries without a constitutionally protected right to bear arms would be home to defenceless citizens being attacked on a daily basis....

Only they're not.

If gun ownership is such a good deterrent, why does the US have such high rates of assult, homicide and armed robbery?

Sorry, you got me wrong there. I'm saying the Americans have a mind set that it's their right to bear arms - they've been brough up like that and a total ban ofn ownership of firearms will only serve a minimal effect.

What they need is some kind of teaching, educate them that the Law is on their side or something.

Soldato
We have gun laws yet have a very serious problem with gun crime, as well as knife crime instead of guns. In the US it would be the same if a ban was introduced, it would solve nothing.

Permabanned
Dr Jones said:
Sorry, you got me wrong there. I'm saying the Americans have a mind set that it's their right to bear arms - they've been brough up like that and a total ban ofn ownership of firearms will only serve a minimal effect.

What they need is some kind of teaching, educate them that the Law is on their side or something.

Ah. Gotcha - I agree.

It wont be the case that a constitutional amendment could be passed (even ignoring the immense difficulties in getting it done), more that changing mindsets wont happen in 1, 5, or 10 years - we're talking decades.

Its a vicious circle - no-one seeking elected office would espouse a policy of prohibition, and no anti-gun mentality could realistically take hold without one.

Permabanned
afraser2k said:
We have gun laws yet have a very serious problem with gun crime, as well as knife crime instead of guns. In the US it would be the same if a ban was introduced, it would solve nothing.

Do we?

When was the last time anyone shot up a school in this country? Is it on a weekly basis like in the states?

Does the uk have 30,000 deaths a year as a result of gun crime?

Associate
Visage said:

Just like here. The cops wont chase a mugger. If you defend yourself, youre likely to be sued for loss of your mugger's livelihood or some such. And so on ...

Permabanned
Sinizterguy said:
Just like here. The cops wont chase a mugger. If you defend yourself, youre likely to be sued for loss of your mugger's livelihood or some such. And so on ...

Not everything the Daily Mail says is true. Can you come up with any examples of this baseless bile?

Suspended
"Gun Nuts" aren't the problem, it's society problem. Look to the person to the right, he could be a killer and there's nothing you can do about it. What is your solution to possible outcome in the future of someone you know is stable but suddenly goes postal? Ban anything that he could get his hands on?

If he didn't have access to a gun he would use a sword/knife. If he didn't have a stabbing weapon he'll use a blunt weapon. After that bricks, lead piping or DIY weapon. There will always be people who kill, banning weapons is not the solution. However tighter control is desirable, it is a bit foolish to allow gun sales to anybody and everybody. Those with criminal/drug/drink/mental/violence problems should be struct off the list. I think the solution would be proper training and evaulation from other people. That'll reduce the chance of a gun getting into the wrong hands, it won't stop it though as that's impossible. The problem is the "need" that every American has a right to a gun, and their dislike of the US goverment butting into that consititutional right. I guess they have a point....give them a inch..wheras the UK is slipping down a police state, although Bush is implementing draconian measures too.

Bry

Bry

Associate
Visage said:
Do we?

When was the last time anyone shot up a school in this country? Is it on a weekly basis like in the states?

Does the uk have 30,000 deaths a year as a result of gun crime?

nope, our gun problem so to speak is far far smaller than in america

Soldato
OP
afraser2k said:

"Since 1962, more than one million Americans have died in firearm homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings."

"In 1997—the most recent year available—there were 89 firearm deaths per day, or a firearm death every 16 minutes"

That is a serious problem

Do you have anything to back up your claim that a ban would solve nothing?

We also hear about children in the US taking gun's to school. Where do you think they get these gun's? I'd hazard a guess at their parent's cupboard. If a ban on gun's prevented just one person (especially a school girl) being killled it would be worth it.

Suspended
Captain Planet said:
We also hear about children in the US taking gun's to school. Where do you think they get these gun's? I'd hazard a guess at their parent's cupboard.

That sounds like bad parenting and a lack of common sense. All it needs is the US goverment to request that gun owners keep them locked up, unloaded with ammo in a seperate safe and out of reach if children are present. I bet that would drastically reduce the number of accidental shootings.

To ban guns just for the sake of one child's death :rolleyes: ban cars too, if people only walked around they would never had a accident at 55mph, so it's saving lives.

Back
Top Bottom