Another 'shall I upgrade or start again' question

Associate
Hi. Back in 2018 I built a HTPC and I'm now looking to upgrade to a gaming PC to be used on a 4k TV via an AV amp.

Specs from 2018:
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Noctua NH L9x65 SE-AM4
MSI B450M Mortar Micro ATX Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB LPX 3000MHz
Crucial MX500 500GB SSD
be quiet! Straight Power 11 450W
Silverstone ML04

As this PC was just doing internet, mp3s and watching HD media it was all OK just with the Ryzen 5 and didn't need a graphics card. 4K gaming with decent performance obviously will and I know barely nothing about graphics cards.

The first thing I really need to understand is if a suitable graphics card will fit inside the case:

As I'm going to make a media centre for under the telly with space for everything then I can't get started on it's design until I know if I can use my existing case of if I will need something bigger.

Usually I love researching all this kind of stuff myself, but life is super busy at the mo and I'm forever drowned in a never ending to do list, so it would be helpful to get some advice re what components of my 2018 build will be fine to keep and what I should be looking to upgrade and what those upgrades should be

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I thought the lack of space in the case would limit the ability of the graphics card. It sounds like I would be best to start again. I had 6 years from the current build so that's not too bad I suppose. Something has gone wrong with it anyway, I've not got round to seeing f I can figure out what the problem is yet.

Edit - it's actually working today, not sure why it looked like it wasn't. Anyway, it's running an out of date Linux distro that can't be updated via an update procedure - I will have to do a new install of an OS anyway.

Last edited:
As for what types of games - it will be a range of things but I will be playing a few up to date AAA titles like RE4 remake, God Of War, Returnal, Alan Wake 2, Still Wakes the Deep. So I'd like them to look good and have a good frame rate and make use of the nice new telly.

One thing I'm not too sure on at this stage - as sound goes through an HDMI cable and I assume an HDMI gets connected to the graphics card, then I suppose the graphics card get the sound info to feed into the HDMI?

So I don't think there's much worth recycling from the previous build - a micro motherboard is pointless if using a bigger case, sounds like I will need a better CPU and bigger PSU, and I imagine RAM has progressed in the last 6 years. In fact, isn't RAM now more integrated into the CPU or something? Maybe the hard disk is still OK for the OS, and the CPU fan is still a good one?

Back
Top Bottom