Another Silverstone Fortress Build

Soldato
Well, I have finally got my case almost 100% finshed(just need to fit the X-Fi and the 4 port USB backplate which are both still in this system i'm typing on). My decision to buy the Silverstone Fortress FT01B-W was largely due to rjkoneill's awesome build log on here, so thanks to you for that.

Anyway, I got the case and spent the next couple of weeks trying to get the right parts, and those I couldn't get just right, I made myself.

First off I bought a Silverstone hard disk caddy with a vented front, that looked superb, but it was designed for the Kublai cases, and alas I couldn't get it to work at all.

So then I decided to use a Kama Bay with the front off the Silverstone. Looked good, but not just right. So, off with the grille on the Kama and I picked up some wire mesh similar to the standard mesh on the Fortress from a local DIY store. Some matt black spray and a little shaping later, and hey presto, so much better looking!

Oh, and I just couldn't let go of the floppy drive! I had to have one installed. Now I know everyone says they're of no use anymore, but I am just so used to having one for bios flashes etc. Anyway, there was no room externally for one unless I got a USB drive. USB? No way, that defeats the point of a floppy drive!!

So, after a little head-scratching it hit me - I had a spare HDD slot. Hmmm, HDD - 3.25", floppy drive - 3.25". A little bit of modding later and I had the drive (nice new Sony one) installed internally. I figure that it's used so little, it's the ideal compromise.

So here's the parts list...

Silverstone Fortress FT01B-W
Modified Kama Bay
Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus
Zalman ZM850-HP
Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Q6600 G0 with TRUE
2 x 2gb G-Skill PC8000
Evga GTX260 SSC 55nm
X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-E
Samsung F1 500gb
Pioneer 216DBK
Sony Floppy Drive
Lian-Li BS-08B
3 x 120mm Noctua NF-P12 Vortex
1 x 60mm from a stock AMD HS
2 x 40mm Rasurbo Basic Silent
3 x Black SATA II cables

...and loads of cable braid and heatshrink, cable ties and some tie-downs too.

I have found it an excellent case to work in, with bags of room and tons of cable tidying options. Inside it is like a fridge, quite literally. I have never felt so much movement of cold air in any case I have used before. The 2 180mm fans really do move a lot of air, and with very little noise (although their motors do rattle a little bit).

In testing I have had my CPU Priming Small FFT's at 3.6ghz in the closed case with every fan bar the 2 180mm(no point lowering these really as they only run at 700RPM) and CPU at less than half speed.

Room temps were 23c and after an hour my CPU settled at 69,69,65,65(these were always within 1-2c before it went in the case, so I think the lower numbers are those nearest the upper 180mm fan), with PWM's maxing out at 68c and system temp showing 31c.

Given the fan speeds used and overall noise levels, which were very, very quiet(and I am a fussy beggar about noise), the temps acheived are astounding.

If I had to bad comments it would be that the gap behind the motherboard could do with being a little bit deeper. Getting all the cabling tidy, then closing the door was not easy, especially with the pre-fitted foam in place! But it just needed some gentle encouragement and I got it to close.

I can also hear quite a lot of rumbling from my hard disk during heavy access. Not sure if it's something to do with the case transferring the noises, or just that I have been unlucky and got a Samsung that is a little noisy. I might just try it outside the case to see.

Anyway, enough rambling, here's the pics(lots!!) Oh and I didn't take any of the case on it's own, or the box, but then they're not that interesting really...

Front of case with Kama Mk1...
IMG_0179.jpg

And with Kama Mk2(the final version)...
IMG_0253.jpg

Closer look...
IMG_0274.jpg

And closer still...
IMG_0255.jpg

The Lian-Li BS-08B(which I might remove, or replace the fans as now that it's in, i'm not sure it's much use as the fans seem to be doing nothing)...
IMG_0230.jpg

Some work on the cables...
IMG_0208.jpg

More cable work, this used to be a flat floppy cable. I have shortened it and rounded it. Took a while, but worth it...
IMG_0365.jpg

And some work on the switch cabling...
IMG_0188.jpg

Switch cables back in...
IMG_0307.jpg

Little tie-downs for the cables...
IMG_0322.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A view into the rear of the 5.25" bays...
IMG_0196.jpg

Another view from inside. Gives a better idea of the size of that lower fan!...
IMG_0190.jpg

On with the install and cable organising...
IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

And the whole mess togther...
IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Build continues, the messy corner of the PSU...
IMG_0422.jpg

The floppy drive in it's new home...
IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

The TRUE in place with a lovely Noctua NF-P12...
IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Lovely G-Skill RAM, and that'll be the Northbridge cooling sorted...
IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Now, with the Northbridge sorted, what about the PWMs, and what on earth have I done with this fan? Read on....
IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

That little 'bracket' I devised fits snugly into the bottom set of fins on the TRUE, holding the 60mm fan in perfect position to cool the PWMs...
IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looking along the GTX, not much room with the BS-08B there too...
IMG_0404.jpg

A little close-up...
IMG_0401.jpg

From above...
IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

View from the front...
IMG_0415.jpg

All coming together nicely...
IMG_0391.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And here we go, the *almost* finished article...
IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Well, that's about it I think. Just need to get the X-Fi and 4 port USB backplate it now. Oh and the backup drive too, one of my 250gb Spinpoints.

Hope you like the build, it's taken a lot longer than I expected, but that's mainly down to lazyness on my part, and a lot of trial and error with parts and cabling. I think it was worth it though. If anyone wants/needs to see any more pics, just shout.

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
YEAH!!!!

About time dude!

looking really good! - love what you did to the kama panel
looking at my lian li bay with shame now!!! ;)

MORE PICS!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice, especially the effort put into braiding ;)

As for the floppy, about a year now since I let go of mine thanks to... HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.

Soldato
OP
Thanks a lot for the comments guys. I'll try to answer your questions...

@ hp7909 - thanks for that tip, I am going to look into that little tool, but it's just reassuring to know that I still have a floppy disk in there.

@ p4radox - The small fans, believe it or not made a BIG difference to temps. The PWMs were running at 81c and climbing until I fitted the fans. With just the 60mm over the PWMs, they dropped to 71c, and with the addition of the 40mm fans on the NB, PWM temps dropped again to 68c. I have them all running at less than half their rated speed, and whilst I can't really hear them, they are doing a great job.

@ LukeTW - I have no idea if it's making any difference or not, as I installed it from the start of the build. I am considering removing it though, as the fans are barely turning. I think that's probably partly to do with my wiring though, as I needed 2 extension cables to get it to my fan controller. I might bypass the controller 1st and see what happens.

Whether you have it as an intake or exhaust will depend on your setup. What I noticed is that my PSU below gives out very little heat, so the BS-08B should be able to draw in relatively cool air from outside and blow it onto the GTX, which IMHO is better than it competing against the GTX for airflow. If it sat higher than the GTX in the case, then I would say exhaust every time, but with it sitting below I can't help but think it is better suited as an intake. The problem I have with it though, as I said is it seems to be putting out very little air. Time to bypass the fan controller and see what happens before I ditch it.

@ mr x plosion - nope :p

Soldato
Thank goodness no one can see the cables at the back of the mobo tray :D

I love what you did with those 60mm fans to cool the pwm's.

I had a similar idea but never ended up needing it.

Back
Top Bottom