• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another upcoming 14nm++++++ Desperate CPU from Intel

Soldato
OP
I don't see Ryzen 3000 hitting 16 cores, that eats too much into Threadripper territory. Level off at 12 cores for now, get the internal optimisations up for IPC and memory speed, get Threadripper 3 at a 16-core baseline and then go for 16-core Ryzen 4000.

Since there's still a lot of gum-flapping from AMD's detractors about "throw MOAR corez at it!!!" I'd rather see AMD get Ryzen 3000's actual cores equal or superior to Intels, and then boost the core count just to rub it in everybody's faces.

As a CCX is 4 cores or 8 cores, AMD will either stick to 8 core 16 thread CPU's or go 16 core 32 thread, we will still see 12 core 24 thread parts too etc, but you know......through binning and switching off faulty cores etc.

I wouldn't be surprised though if R7 3700's for instance are still just 8 core 16 thread CPU's just on 7nm with higher clocks and better IPC, for the very point you mentioned about threadripper.

However, another way to look at it is Threadripper is now 32 cores+ so they could make an R9 3900 for instace compatible with the AM4 socket containing 16 cores 32 threads, that's 2 chiplets and a smaller IO die as it only has to drive 2 chiplets, not 8 like Epyc, that would fit on an AM4 package easily.

If they can sell a 16 core 32 thread CPU for the AM4 platform for the same price as say the previous generation Threadripper 16 core 32 thread part, then its a win win for AMD, those things would sell like hot cakes, no need for an expensive X399 motherboard, obvious limitations could be things like less PCI-e lanes etc.

EDIT: Funny how this has turned into another AMD thread after the initial vid I posted was about Intel lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom