Antec P180 Owners Thread

Associate
I have recently purchased a P180 with an Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE however the power supply I have doesn't reach the motherboard.

Can anybody recommend a power supply that works well with this case?

Preferable an atx 2.2 because of the motherboard

Thanks

Tom

Associate
toggo said:
I have recently purchased a P180 with an Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE however the power supply I have doesn't reach the motherboard.

Thanks

Tom

Well after a great deal of agro and untidy cabling I bought a Hyper R 550 from OC Uk. This supply is modular and makes life so much easier along with being superb quality!
I still needed a 4pin extension and believe OC uk now stock these -if not just google it or PM me and I will give you the address of a supplier.

Associate
toggo said:

I just put together a new PC over the weekend with a P180. I uses a Tagan EasyCon power supply, which is modular, and the ATX cable fits quite nicely around the graphics card. I used a DFI nforce4 motherboard, in which the 12V connector is right next to the main power - if it's much further away then you might need to use an extension.

I had to remove the bottom fan to make room, but as everyone has pointed out, it seems to only be important if you have a fanless PSU, and I can feel air being drawn in through the lower front intake to keep the hard drives cool.

The P180 looks very nice from all angles! Having actually put one together myself, I'm struggling to imagine what the designers were thinking regarding the internal layout, though. However, it does seem to keep things cool, and it's VERY quiet. First time I turned it on I nearly had a heart attack as I thought I'd broken something. It took me a couple of seconds to realise that the fans were actually spinning! :D

Andrew

Associate
Are the stock fans in this case variable speed? I know you can use the little switches to select low-medium-high settings, but does the mobo vary/over-ride that setting to increase fan speed as temperatures rise? or is the only variable element the setting you select with the switch?

I've noticed fan noise increase during gaming and wondered whether it was the case fans or the GPU.

My mobo is an Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi if that helps.

TIA

Associate
I've noticed fan noise increase during gaming and wondered whether it was the case fans or the GPU.

What GPU do you have? Most probably the GPU as you are Gaming - my Club3D X800XL has a variable fan that increases as temps increase.

Are the Antec Tri-Cool fans connected somehow to the motherboard headers - I though they were 4 pin? Some motherboard offer Fan Control but only for those fans connected to the motherboard. The three pin selector switch is useful anyway and gives you roughtly 5v 7v and 12v.

Associate
GPU is an XFX 6800 GT. You're right, the case fans don't connect to the mobo, so I guess it is the GPU fan that's speeding up under load. So replacing the case fans won't make much difference to the noise.

Associate
Mine arrived today. After some slight modding I've nearly go the watercooling kit installed, might make a new thread about it when its finished.

Soldato
I'm in a similar situation. I want to get this board with an AN8 Ultra for now, along with a Hiper 580W Modular. Will the P4 connector reach? Do Hiper supply an extension for it in the box?

Associate
Got my case at the weekend and installed an asus a8n-sli mobo. psu was a hiper type-r 580w. the 12v atx cable was a little short and i had to install the psu upside down for the cable to have enough slack.
i'll probably buy an extension cable for tidyness but it does all fit.

Soldato
The case LED is dumb... it will litterally only light up when the motherbaord applies power to the LED pins on the motherboard header, so I don't see how it could be a case issue, and I certainly don't have any problems with it.

in regards to the flashing HD LED read from posts 205 down

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17447191&page=7&pp=30

Not only has this been stated here but many other forums have had people complain about the fact that since transplanting thier system into this case they have noticed that the hard drive led flashes I have disconnected mine for now but would still like to no why this is ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom