Antec PSU a good buy?

Associate
OP
Yeah I had read that so I'm assuming that is very similar to the Seasonic models, maybe not entirely as good but pretty close, which you would think given the slight price differential.

Associate
OP
Succumbed to peer pressure - my mother warned me of this.

Despite my concerns about its compact size/noise (it was the grill that concerned me for airflow) - i've ordered it - price just too hard to resist.

We'll have to compare notes - i'm used to Seasonic, so should be more of the same for me...

Im used to potential timebombs as it's an area I have always scrimped on. Silly I know but it's a common tale of spending a crap ton (relatively speaking for me) on components like CPU/GPU and then buying the cheapest crap PSU to run them and then wondering what went wrong :) Hopefully this will do me a few years without any worries on that front.

Associate
OP
Sounds like your machine will stop whimpering in the corner thanks to the Antec firesale :)

You'll really appreciate even the external build/leads of a quality PSU. They really try and make the unboxing experience validate the premium you've paid for probably the most uninspiring, yet important component. You also get little extras like: zip ties, cloth bags and crappy stickers that no one in their right mind would stick anywhere on a decent case.

Yeah about time I bought a decent one. Now all I need to do it find out where to get these flipping spacers for this cooler so I can use it on AM4 socket. I swear Ill never buy anything by cooler master again given they want me to spend 13 quid of 4 flipping spacers!!!!

Associate
OP
Too late for added caveats :D

If it's the CM 212(?) - if funds allow - I would consider selling it and adding the £13 towards another cooler. It means spending more money but it's a great cooler for the money (Noctua NH-D15, performance good):

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Yeah its the 212 which I know isnt great but its adequate for what I need and its just so annoying that for the sake of 4 spacers I cant use it. The kit is only a fiver from CM but when you add on the shipping its 13 quid which does seem rather pointless as you say and would be better spent elsewhere. Cannot find it anywhere in the UK. I have one of the spacers here but I have no clue if its something that I could get from the likes of RS Components who do sell a lot fo spacers, etc but I dunno the sizes, etc even though I have it in front of me :) I asked CM for the details on the spacer to see if I could source it here and they basically just said, nah we dont know haha.

Contacted sales and the Scythe cooler will be back in stock in 1-2 weeks so Ill just pick one up then and be done with it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My Haribo have arrived in a large box!

Won't be able to open them until tonight/tomorrow :/

That is of course unless there's only a stupid gold standard PSU in there - i've been Haribo deprived before...

I ordered a case with the PSU and the case is out of stock, and given I paid by paypal they cant do partial shipments so Ill just have to wait. Oh well I guess I can get round to doing some housework then, that pile of dishes is getting a bit massive and I can only live on pot noodles for so long!

Associate
OP
What case have you upgraded to?

That's what all that Tetris training was for - harness those years of 8 bit gaming.

Just went for a Fractal Meshify C. Dont mention Tetris, my gf is currently addicted to Tetris 99 on the Switch, all I hear is the Tetris music when she is in!

Associate
OP
Big fan of Fractal cases - built a lot around the Define series, excellent quality too. Not seen that one in the flesh yet - i doubt you'll be disappointed.

Direct her towards the dishes and loop the Testris music through the kitchen...

yeah looks decent for my price range/usage case so hopefully will be good.

As for the other idea I doubt I could sell that one, I do all the cooking/dishes and she earns more than me, thoroughly modern arrangement other than me being lazy with the current dishes pile as shes been away for a few days. It will magically disappear by Friday when she returns ;)

Associate
OP
Big fan of Fractal cases - built a lot around the Define series, excellent quality too. Not seen that one in the flesh yet - i doubt you'll be disappointed.

Got the case, and the antec hcg PSU today. The case is really nice, first time I've ever really bought a half decent case and it was worth the bit extra. And the first time I've ever bothered actually doing cable management :) Let's see how long it lasts being this tidy inside!

Back
Top Bottom